ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Black Friday..trying to understand the Psyche

Default Black Friday..trying to understand the Psyche

I just don't get the attraction to Black Friday. I get you can get some great prices on things on sale, many of which people buy without having prior desire or need of. But to wait in a mob, get trampled, spend hours in lines and traffic and crowded stores? Why do people do this? Is it because of our distant genetic connection to Lemmings? Its is a masochistic response that expresses itself as the light levels decrease heading into winter? If so would vitamin D suppliments and sunlamps cure these rabid shoppers?

I really don't get it. I hate shopping in crowded places. The people are generally nasty to each other more so than when there less shoppers around. I can't stand waiting in line at a cash register where the cashier obviously does not want to be there and moves like molasses on a cold day..Not that I blame them, its probably not a job I would move fast in.

I'd much rather take my time shopping, not rush.I work too hard for my money to rush spending it...and I have too little of it to spend on things I didn't need in the first place. I also find that its much more relaxing shopping from the computer on Black Friday. Have a cup of Java, do a search, find what I need with out a shopper still in their Pajamas shuffling along in front of me at the Registers.

Not that I don't shop at brick and Mortar stores, I do when I can. But not Black Friday or Return Monday. No Thankyou!

al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 11-19-2018 at 09:00 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Default Re: Black Friday..trying to understand the Psyche

I don't get it either. I knew someone who stood in line from 3am until the store opened to get one of a few expensive TVs for next to nothing. Someone beat her to it. Of course this is the same woman who stood in line after Katrina to pick up clothing donated for displaced people while she herself was not affected.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Mervin

Money makes people do odd things;anything to save a buck.Looks like they'll be a lot more of it this year here in Canada.we have a postal strike here and we'er already back logged for 30 days.Canada Post is not excepting any mail from other countries right now.So,Black Friday will be black as it gets far as ordering on line.

Real Name
    Patty

I went for the first time last year because my fridge and dishwasher were on their last legs and I replaced them and a microwave oven at 40% off each. The line at Home Depot wasn’t bad maybe 20 people ahead of us and everyone was having fun. Hope it’s a long time before I do it again though.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I actually do not want to understand the psyche but I think it is something some of us have convinced ourselves (with some clever marketing) that we HAVE to do. Perhaps it also feeds into our competition nature...beat the other guy to that one deal...so manner what. Either way shopping from the computer is so much easier and smarter.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Brian

I was talked into doing the early thing once and I felt like cattle being herded into a slaughterhouse. Never again, especially since most good deals are available online as well.

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    I just don't get the attraction to Black Friday. I get you can get some great prices on things on sale, many of which people buy without having prior desire or need of. But to wait in a mob, get trampled, spend hours in lines and traffic and crowded stores? Why do people do this? Is it because of our distant genetic connection to Lemmings? Its is a masochistic response that expresses itself as the light levels decrease heading into winter? If so would vitamin D suppliments and sunlamps cure these rabid shoppers?

I really don't get it. I hate shopping in crowded places. The people are generally nasty to each other more so than when there less shoppers around. I can't stand waiting in line at a cash register where the cashier obviously does not want to be there and moves like molasses on a cold day..Not that I blame them, its probably not a job I would move fast in.

I'd much rather take my time shopping, not rush.I work too hard for my money to rush spending it...and I have too little of it to spend on things I didn't need in the first place. I also find that its much more relaxing shopping from the computer on Black Friday. Have a cup of Java, do a search, find what I need with out a shopper still in their Pajamas shuffling along in front of me at the Registers.

Not that I don't shop at brick and Mortar stores, I do when I can. But not Black Friday or Return Monday. No Thankyou!

al
    The very same thoughts crossed my mind yesterday.
    I just try to ignore all the hype - no way would I stand in line before opening hour at any store, even if it was for something I really needed/wanted.

Real Name
    Dave

I just don't take part in Black Friday. I remember about 35 years ago that would be the day my grandmother would take me to JC Penny to get winter coats, and new clothes. JC Penny and Sears were the only two stops, and we weren't there at the crack of dawn waiting in lines.
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Real Name
    Frank

Outside of greed as someone mentioned, maybe an adrenaline rush???
    I avoid all that type of mayhem. If there is a need, then a quiet computer, research, and price works well.
    When I lived overseas, I had a neighbor that was always asking what was paid for everything. Then, they would proceed to tell me where they would have brought it cheaper. One up-some maybe. It seemed they found happiness in that type of knowledge.

Registered Member

Does not Discus.com not have a Black Friday sale from time to time where they sell all of their discus that have turned black for 10% off?

Registered Member

Its all about how big business and the supply chain control our lives thru marketing. Hallmark didn't create mothers day because of the desire to honor mother, it did it because they wanted to sell more cards. It was a win/win for them. Black Friday is the same thing. IMO