pic of month     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bristlenose surprise

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    Real Name
    Patty

Default Re: Bristlenose surprise

That was quick Liz! The guy from Swiss Tropicals is in Germany until Dec 6th. You’re lucky you found one(HMF) on e-bay. The one I need was only $24, just wish I didn’t have to wait.
    Thanks Adam for getting me excited about shrimp again. You’ve got quite the aquatic zoo!
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, Iím happy

iTrader
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I prefer the long finned.
    Careful shopping for those, Liz.

Small rant: longfin a dominant gene. Anyone who sells fish with wild-type fins and says "mom/dad is a longfin, so these fry have a longfin gene" is WRONG.

Lf x Lf does produce some fry with wild-type fins, so maybe two doses is lethal(?).

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    That was quick Liz! The guy from Swiss Tropicals is in Germany until Dec 6th. Youíre lucky you found one(HMF) on e-bay. The one I need was only $24, just wish I didnít have to wait.
    Thanks Adam for getting me excited about shrimp again. Youíve got quite the aquatic zoo!
    Patty
    I think Swiss Tropicals is basically a one man operation. Definitely worth the wait, but it is a drag when he's out of town.

Need to thin the zoo... I really want to work on the cauliflowers this winter, but all the tanks are filled with old stuff!

iTrader
    12 (100%)

You have come to my rescue once again, Adam. I had no idea that the long fin gene was dominant. I have 2 male long fin in my community tank. I was bummed that I didn't have a long fin female. I'll pick out one of my female albino standard fin to put with the long fin male. I have a ton of them.

I checked with my LFS to day when I went in to pick up a couple of bags of gravel. They can get Java Moss and Java fern, but not the Susswassertang nor the Bolbolits.
    If you are thinning the zoo, would you be willing to sell and ship a couple of each to me?
    Mama Bear

iTrader
    4 (100%)

PM'd you about the plants.

What strain is your longfin male? If it's blue eyed, you'll get all wild-type coloration in the first generation.

iTrader
    12 (100%)

OH NO! I had a male and a female stuck to different pieces of driftwood. The male has normal eyes. I thought that I had it made in the shade when the female was blue eyed. I have no choice but to take her out. No way will take on another breeding project when I already have an Angel one and a Discus one in progress. I'll find another female but I don't have any of them that have reached breeding age.
    Mama Bear

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    Real Name
    Patty

I was poking around on the web and learned you can mix shrimp that wonít interbreed. This is going to be a cool tank! Iím thinking cherries, tiger blue and green. Do you breed any other shrimps Adam? Iím ordering my HMF tomorrow and some Poret foam for my 125 gal sump. They will cut it to size free in squares and send the leftovers. Iím going to put a square in my sump chamber and cut some circles out to replace the filter socks. Hope it works-those socks are pricey!
    Patty

iTrader
    4 (100%)

None at the moment, Patty. I had quite a few Caridina strains a couple years ago but got rid of them when downsizing. There are a couple types of green shrimp: babaulti (Caridina) and "jade green" (Neocaridina). There is a chance either could cross with the cherries or tigers, so I'd only recommend getting two types (one Neocaridina, one Caridina).

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    Real Name
    Patty

That’s funny because I was looking at green shrimp. I’ll stick with cherry and blue tigers then. Thanks Adam.
    Patty

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123