AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bristlenose surprise

Real Name
    Patty

Default Re: Bristlenose surprise

That was quick Liz! The guy from Swiss Tropicals is in Germany until Dec 6th. You’re lucky you found one(HMF) on e-bay. The one I need was only $24, just wish I didn’t have to wait.
    Thanks Adam for getting me excited about shrimp again. You’ve got quite the aquatic zoo!
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I prefer the long finned.
    Careful shopping for those, Liz.

Small rant: longfin a dominant gene. Anyone who sells fish with wild-type fins and says "mom/dad is a longfin, so these fry have a longfin gene" is WRONG.

Lf x Lf does produce some fry with wild-type fins, so maybe two doses is lethal(?).

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    That was quick Liz! The guy from Swiss Tropicals is in Germany until Dec 6th. You’re lucky you found one(HMF) on e-bay. The one I need was only $24, just wish I didn’t have to wait.
    Thanks Adam for getting me excited about shrimp again. You’ve got quite the aquatic zoo!
    Patty
    I think Swiss Tropicals is basically a one man operation. Definitely worth the wait, but it is a drag when he's out of town.

Need to thin the zoo... I really want to work on the cauliflowers this winter, but all the tanks are filled with old stuff!

You have come to my rescue once again, Adam. I had no idea that the long fin gene was dominant. I have 2 male long fin in my community tank. I was bummed that I didn't have a long fin female. I'll pick out one of my female albino standard fin to put with the long fin male. I have a ton of them.

I checked with my LFS to day when I went in to pick up a couple of bags of gravel. They can get Java Moss and Java fern, but not the Susswassertang nor the Bolbolits.
    If you are thinning the zoo, would you be willing to sell and ship a couple of each to me?
    Mama Bear

PM'd you about the plants.

What strain is your longfin male? If it's blue eyed, you'll get all wild-type coloration in the first generation.

OH NO! I had a male and a female stuck to different pieces of driftwood. The male has normal eyes. I thought that I had it made in the shade when the female was blue eyed. I have no choice but to take her out. No way will take on another breeding project when I already have an Angel one and a Discus one in progress. I'll find another female but I don't have any of them that have reached breeding age.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Patty

I was poking around on the web and learned you can mix shrimp that won’t interbreed. This is going to be a cool tank! I’m thinking cherries, tiger blue and green. Do you breed any other shrimps Adam? I’m ordering my HMF tomorrow and some Poret foam for my 125 gal sump. They will cut it to size free in squares and send the leftovers. I’m going to put a square in my sump chamber and cut some circles out to replace the filter socks. Hope it works-those socks are pricey!
    Patty

None at the moment, Patty. I had quite a few Caridina strains a couple years ago but got rid of them when downsizing. There are a couple types of green shrimp: babaulti (Caridina) and "jade green" (Neocaridina). There is a chance either could cross with the cherries or tigers, so I'd only recommend getting two types (one Neocaridina, one Caridina).

Real Name
    Patty

That’s funny because I was looking at green shrimp. I’ll stick with cherry and blue tigers then. Thanks Adam.
    Patty

Every morning when I walk into the office I an surprised by the beauty of this tank. I think that it's totally stunning, but that could be because I have always been all about the fish and didn't care about beauty. This is the first pretty tank I have ever had.

The shrimp are active but they're too small to draw my attention. I'm thinking about adding a school of Neon's. Adam, unless you say it's a bad idea, I'll call my LFS tomorrow and have them order a group of 15 or 20 for me.
    Mama Bear

If you want the tank to pay for itself in shrimp, I'd hold off until the colony grows. Babies are about the size of bbs, so even neons can gobble them like candy. That being said, the adults should be fine, so feel free to add them if production isn't a concern.

Thanks. Adam. I'll wait.
    Mama Bear

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

wow great topics on this thread! I have cherry shrimps in my main tank's sump. I didn't think they'd survive the warm water but they are doing fine. I started with 3 shrimps to test and I have about 30 to 40 now. They did devour one of my plants, I forgot the plant name, but for the most part, they hang out all over the cholla wood. The sump is full of nubias and java ferns as well as moss balls. I believe that they are in a happy little oasis. I do have to admit that I do not feed them much, and sometimes I forget that they exists, but they do eat from the foods that the skimmer picks up so I'm not too worried. I found a few make it to the main tank but are gone shortly after. Liz, I wish I had seen this before, I would have sent you some cholla wood as I have a ton of it.

What kind of oak leaves should I throw in the sump?

Dry leaves that fell naturally from the tree in an area free of pesticide/herbicide use. If in doubt, just net a few shrimp into a bucket with the leaves and give them a week.

They breakdown quickly though, so maybe a sump isn't the best place for them.

Found some more wigglers and got better footage. You can really see the heart pumping away.

OH, how cool! Excellent video.
    Mama Bear

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast