AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bristlenose surprise

Real Name
    Patty

Default Re: Bristlenose surprise

That is really cool. I’ve never seen one so tiny!
    Just when you get back to topic, here I am hyjacking it again. Ha ha
    I finally received my HMF and will pick up my 20 gal long today. I ended up going for a corner type HMF and will glue my brace in today. Hope I’m not too far from getting mine ready for shrimp. Adam, will Endlers eat the baby shrimp too? Stupid question, but I’m hoping I won’t have to hold off. I like to think I’m patient, but it’s times like this that I prove myself wrong!
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

A big colony of Endler's can wreck shrimp populations without enough cover. I've mixed them before, but for both to reproduce well you need at least an inch or two of stuff (moss, ceramic media, etc.) on the bottom for babies to hide.

That being said, I think a few male Endler's would be fine. Much smaller than the females.

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    OH, how cool! Excellent video.
    Thanks, Liz. Is your computer whipped into shape yet? Dying to see your new setup.

I wondered why you said to put in a couple of handfuls of ceramic media and kept forgetting to ask. Now I know. When I add Neons, I'll add some more. I have lots.

I'm afraid I still haven't taken my computer to the doctor. I keep hoping for a miracle but miracles don't happen. I sure do love my pretty little tank.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Patty

Quote Originally Posted by Adam S View Post
    A big colony of Endler's can wreck shrimp populations without enough cover. I've mixed them before, but for both to reproduce well you need at least an inch or two of stuff (moss, ceramic media, etc.) on the bottom for babies to hide.

That being said, I think a few male Endler's would be fine. Much smaller than the females.
    I won’t get anything until I get the shrimps. I think you said it takes 6-8 weeks for them to start reproducing. I’m going to hold out as long as I can and then start with a few males. Yipeee! Thanks Adam! That’s a great idea!
    Patty

Sorry if I said 6-8 weeks, because that's not true. That's about how long it takes for a baby mature. Besides, a lot of hobby sellers try to include a berried female when shipping so reproduction can begin as early as day 1!

You sent me a few berried ones, Adam. Patty, wait until you get to see them lay their eggs. It is the coolest thing there is. You can see the eggs bouncing around inside them like a bunch of BINGO balls as they lay.
    Mama Bear

Hey, Adam. I just thought of something. I have 4 mystery snails in the shrimp tank. Will they eat the shrimp eggs?
    Mama Bear

Nope, eggs stay under mom's tail until they hatch. Even things like assassin and spixi snails are safe (-ish. They'll eat an occasional shrimp if food is scarce).

So when I thought I saw females laying eggs what I was actually seeing was them being born? Man, I've seen 4 or 5 give birth in the past several days. I'll have a tank full of shrimp in no time!
    Mama Bear

I think? Eggs are fertilized internally when they drop from inside of the shrimp to under the tail. They bounce around with mom for a few weeks before hatching.

If you've ever fished up a crawfish with eggs under its tail, it's the same deal. Only difference is shrimp babies don't stick around after they hatch.
    Last edited by Adam S; 12-22-2018 at 10:58 AM.

I just saw one of my babies. It was a small white dot with a smaller dot of red on it.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Patty

Oh my gosh! I can’t wait! I didn’t know they reproduce so fast!
    I was looking at blue bolts as something to go with cherry shrimp and I read they like a low ph. I think it said up to 6.8. Mine is 7.4. They are really cool looking, but I was hoping not to go the RO route. What do you think Adam. Have you ever kept them? I have the RO stuff if I need it. Thanks for being our shrimp guru.
    Patty

They'll do okay in plain tap, but they might not produce. My old colony didn't do anything until the TDS was below 200 ppm (tap here is 460-480 ppm).

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I just saw one of my babies. It was a small white dot with a smaller dot of red on it.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast