AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: water changes

Registered Member

Default water changes

When I do a 10 to 20% water change I really have no problems but when I do a 50% water change my discus seem to be stunned and not lively for about 2 hours I try to keep the tds and temp the same in my aging barrels and fill the tank slow to prevent a sudden water pressure change. Any ideas of this cause.

Default Re: water changes

Do you age your water with an air stone and heater?
    Mama Bear

Do you aerate or agitate the water? Is the pH in the tank different than the pH in the barrel? Reasonable changes in temp and tds won't phase most fish.

Registered Member

I don't use a air stone in my barrels and I use tap water to heat it up but I use prime to counteract the tap water

If you use a pump to transfer water to the tank, try letting the water circulate for a few hours. Better yet, let the water from the pump crash back down into the barrel so it's bubbly.

The issue probably isn't chlorine, rather change in pH and/or dissolved gasses.

You likely have a pH swing. If the swing is more than .3 it can cause the fish stress. Try adding an air stone and heater to your barrel for 24 hrs before WC. I do it that way and can do 100% WC without bothering the fish. Stability of the water is important.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Adam S View Post
    The issue probably isn't chlorine, rather change in pH and/or dissolved gasses.
    Exactly!! Especially this time of year, the water is colder and has more Co2. This can stress your discus and cause large ph swings. Using a pump or air stone to age your water should take care of this...

Registered Member

Thanks everyone for the replies that makes a lot of sense it just slipped my mind I tried it and yes the air bubbler solved the problem thanks again

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Glad the advice you have been given has proven helpful, now you can do HUGE water changes!