ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do Denitrators Work?

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: Do Denitrators Work?

Quote Originally Posted by 14Discus View Post
    Thanks Ralph.

Actually, I posted the wrong pic. Should have been this for algae in the Santa-Monica surf 4 scrubber.

Attachment 119831
    I just got an advice from Pat about your problem with images uploading sideways.
    You can prevent this in future postings if you edit your image somehow.Minimal Crop for example before uploading it should do the trick .

Real Name
    Bill G.

Thanks Filip.

Just tried it and it worked. Will try to remember down the road.

You all have a Happy Thanksgiving......

Real Name
    Bill G.

Just an update.......

My algae scrubbers are not currently in use w my Discus tanks, but are in the basement koi pond. I use the anaerobic canisters, resin beds with my large pathos roots in the Discus sumps to keep NO3 levels down. System works great w levels around 5-15 or so.

I must stress, however, the importance of vacuuming the gravel w every WC. I tried doing a WC wo vacuuming and the NO3 levels rose quickly to around 20 or so. When I vacuumed the gravel, it greatly helped to maintain lower levels. So, in a way, part of my dinitrification involves gravel cleaning as well. Bear in mind.....my gravel averages only 3/4” deep and is a course sand. I used to get the brownish clouds of gunk when I vacuumed deeper gravel or did not vacuum. Now, my gravel is pretty clean when I do my WCs. If I disturb the gravel between WCs, there is no cloud of fine gunk that rises into the water. That organic gunk in the gravel does have a significant effect on NO3 in the tank.

Registered Member

I use a large Santa Monica scrubber to keep my nitrates close to zero but still do 75% water changes twice or three times a week.

Discus always seem a bit happier after water changes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12