ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Tadpoles

Registered Member

Default Tadpoles

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

I seeded my still fishless cycling tank with filter floss from a shrimp/snail breeding tank. Since there has not been shrimp in this tank for months, I really did not think that shrimp tadpoles would be a problem. I guess I was wrong. Today I noticed that I have dozens of amano shrimp tadpoles swimming in my empty tank. I guess a few stayed alive on that filter floss for months (even after wringing it out). They could be harmless if eaten by the discus, or maybe not. Obviously, the total fix would be to break it all down, clean it out thoroughly, and start over. But I am four weeks into cycling, so I am hoping there might be something else I could do. Here is the tank setup and current status: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...55g-Barebottom

So, what to do about it?

I noticed that there were more swimming around before I turned the filters back on, so wondering if I can just let the filter collect them, and wring out the sponges a few times a day. I could use straight tap water to help kill any that are left over. I know that will slow the cycle, but not as slow as starting all over again.

Anyone else deal with killing off hitchhikers?

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Tadpoles

Why do anything?
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Oh look food, yes why do anything?

Registered Member

Haha. Nice.

Should I be concerned about the tadpoles carrying disease/parasites? Mostly that is the question.

Invertebrates don’t carry diseases for any fish. Discus will appreciate the snack 😊

Best regards
    Dennis