ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Discus Tank Issues

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bryan

Exclamation New Discus Tank Issues

Hi all,

I’ve been keeping several types of fishes for a while now and decided i would like to keep Some discus. All Said and done and my discus tank has been running for a Month now. At the moment i’ve got 8 young discus of wich 5 seem to be doing fine however 3 of them aren’t.. All fish come from different breeders and seemed to be doing great at first when added to the tank. My biggest concern is the fact that the 3 discus refuse to eat, this has nothing to do with dominance since they simply don’t even care about the food.. Apart of that is my bright red fish currently losing his beautifull colors, while the other fish has turned completely black.

The fishes come from 3 different breeders so i’ve added them in 3 times. The fishes I added the last 2 times have had a bath of discus protector recommended by the breeder himself.

The tank is a Juwel Vision 180 Liter. I’m aware of the fact that this is to small for 8 adult discus but it should be big eneugh for these young ones. .

Water Parameters:
    32 degrees Celsius (I raised it in order to stimulate their digestion )
    Ph: 7.2
    (NO2): 0
    (NO3): 10
    KH: 6
    GH: 7
    CL2: 0

The tank is running 2 filters, 1 internal filter with sponges from juwel and 1 external cannister filter from eheim. The external filter on it’s Own has al output of 440 liter/ hour.

The soil is Made out of gravel with nutritabs for the plants. .
    As I mentioned above the tank has been running with discus for about a month now. However the tank itself has been running over 2 years.

I’m doing 50% water changes Every day.

I’ve already tried a treatment of esha2000, Esha hexamita and Jbl furanol, nothing really seems to have al effect on their eating etc. Before the treatment Some had white poop.. but this is the only problem that seems to be resolved.

If somebody has any idea what kind of disease could be the issue please let me know Asap.. i’ve already tried a dutch forum but i’m still waiting for a reply. And i don’t feel like i’ve got any time to spare.

Thanks in advance,,
    Bryan
    Last edited by Bryann27; 11-23-2018 at 06:40 PM.

Default Re: New Discus Tank Issues

Please post pics. What is your ammonia reading? What sizes are your Discus? Having young Discus in a planted tank is generally a poor idea.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bryan

I’m trying to post pics, but it’s not really that easy from my phone. Please give me a Second. & I can’t test my ammonia levels..

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bryan

This is a pic from when the red fish was added
    https://postimg.cc/3k4gd4YY

This Picture was Made today
    https://postimg.cc/mP5H4bHJ

I would say they are about 10cm Some a bit bigger

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bryan

This fish has turned completely black.
    https://postimg.cc/XBb5PQCv
    The fish in the middel of the pic Hidding (the black one) is the fish from above.
    https://postimg.cc/7562jCfS
    The fish in the top left corner is a pigeon that also refuses to eat. Al the other 5 are eating great and are responding instant when i’m feeding

Real Name
    Frank

Small tank. Is there any way you can put them in a bare-bottom tank. It’s usually not wise to mix different discus from various breeders. Did you quarantine?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    Small tank. Is there any way you can put them in a bare-bottom tank. It’s usually not wise to mix different discus from various breeders. Did you quarantine?
    I do have 1 more aquarium I could use but that’s even smaller.. only 150 Liters I guess. We did give 6 of the fish a bath in discus protector, wich is supposed to be Some sort of quarantine to prevent cross contamination. The first 3 fish didn’t get a quarantine since we didn’t really see the point.

I know gravel and plants can cause a Messy tank and bad water because of the food getting caught behind it but is it really that bad if you clean your tank every day?

Apart of that i tought it was better for the discus to have Some hiding spots opposed to a bare tank..

And Will this really contribute to getting them back to eat?
    Last edited by Bryann27; 11-23-2018 at 08:44 PM.

Real Name
    Ralph

Sorry to hear about your issues Bryan.
    I'm also sorry that no quarantine and mixing sources may have jump started the rough road you face ahead.
    I think this breeder should not be selling Discus if they say there is a product that protects Discus from cross contamination. The pigeon discus will naturally pepper drastically in dark environments as your tank is. Discus are susceptible to weak immune system when stressed and kept under poor conditions. Although your doing w/c's everyday, the gravel deposits uneaten food which you admitted will rot and spoil your water.
    At this point your adding meds without knowing what your treating for.
    Your Discus are not very happy at this point.

Suggestion will be to start your other tank making sure it's sterile keeping it bare bottom and use one of your seeding filters but rising out media in tank water first and just add aquarium salt to aid the stress level and monitor them for the time period with daily w/c's.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Real Name
    Ralph

Here are 2 thread links for reference for someone getting into Discus for the first time.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...bies-to-Follow

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...TCH-THIS-VIDEO!

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bryan

First of all thanks for the advice you Guys are giving me..
    I’m guessing putting them in a bare tank is the only thing I can do right now so i’ll Do that asap..
    I really hope I can save all these fish but i’m afraid it’s already to late for the smaller pigeon.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bryan

Apart of that would you recommend just moving the sick ones or all of them?

Real Name
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Bryann27 View Post
    I do have 1 more aquarium I could use but that’s even smaller.. only 150 Liters I guess. We did give 6 of the fish a bath in discus protector, wich is supposed to be Some sort of quarantine to prevent cross contamination. The first 3 fish didn’t get a quarantine since we didn’t really see the point.

I know gravel and plants can cause a Messy tank and bad water because of the food getting caught behind it but is it really that bad if you clean your tank every day?

Apart of that i tought it was better for the discus to have Some hiding spots opposed to a bare tank..

And Will this really contribute to getting them back to eat?
    Ralph gave some excellent advice. Yes, I would move all the discus.
    I know that you clean the tank every day but the gravel still accumulates gunk. I think you would be amazed how much if you broke your tank down. I had gravel (no plants) for about 4 months. After doing a LOT of reading in the beginners forum (along with past fish experience), I knew I had a time bomb waiting to happen. I went bare bottom. The fish and owner are happier.

At this point, nothing is guaranteed moving them to the other tank. However, I think if you leave them in the existing tank your possibilities are more dire.

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

I would probably temporarily put both filters on the 150 and all the fish in that while you remove gravel and all from the 180 and put the apparently healthy fish and the internal filter back in that one and leave the 3 ones that are struggling in the 150 so you can give treatment as deemed necessary just to those

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bryan

Okay, I’ve started moving all of the discus to the bare tank.. i’ll add Some salt to the water and we’ll see what happends.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
    I would probably temporarily put both filters on the 150 and all the fish in that while you remove gravel and all from the 180 and put the apparently healthy fish and the internal filter back in that one and leave the 3 ones that are struggling in the 150 so you can give treatment as deemed necessary just to those
    I’m most likely going to do this. It seems to be the best option, thanks Again for all the advice

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast