SD2.jpg
    SD3.jpg
    SD4.jpg
    SD5.jpg
    SD6.jpg
    SD7.jpg/
    SD10.jpg
    SD8.jpg

Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 11-24-2018 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Remove the 's' from "https:" to embed vid when using insert video.
    "You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it." -W.C.Fields

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Pictures from the Red Sea move Part one

Wow, stunning mate!! That reef tank looks awesome!!

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Wow, stunning mate!! That reef tank looks awesome!!
    Thank you! It’s really fun watching it grow.

Real Name
    Daniel

I am stunned there is no other comments Jenene...so much so, that I feel the need to comment again...WOW, just WOW!! Your SW reef looks absolutely stellar!!

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    I am stunned there is no other comments Jenene...so much so, that I feel the need to comment again...WOW, just WOW!! Your SW reef looks absolutely stellar!!
    Thank you Daniel! You are very kind. It’s okay really. This isn’t really a big reef community here. I really enjoy documenting here so I can look back later on and see the progress. I always regretted not starting a journal on my discus tank. I looked into the specific reef forums and they are so big and impersonal compared to SD. I’ve always thought Simply as a big, crazy family so I planted it here.

It is really a fascinating tank. I’ve never had a tank where unexpected creatures just appear. Some are pests others are beneficial but they all surprise me. When the guys started pulling the sand out there were many tiny starfish I had no idea were in there (good guys) and bristle worms (depends on the type if they are okay but they can sting like bees). So there is a lot going on that we can’t see. This aspect of it, along with learning to balance the parameters and the insane assortment of corals available and learning their specific requirements makes the salty side of the hobby a very different experience from the discus. I love them both. I’m still working on the update to the discus.

My next post here will be a closer look some of my favorite corals. I’ve got to get better at the photography first. Thanks again for your post. I appreciate it!

Pat, thank you for fixing the video. I just noticed the edit note. I appreciate your help!

Real Name
    Daniel

My pleasure Jenene. I love my discus but I guess I am just very into all things aquatic. I am looking forward to tracking the development of your reef mate.
    All the best

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hj Jenene, happy to help. It is a beautiful tank and I bet it will fill in beautifully. I actually came to discus from the reef side as well. I kept a Florida native reef tank. A bit different then what you generally see. I think there is a thread on it in my homesteader.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Fabulous, Jenene !

I've set up, or least 'tried' to set up, several reef tanks over the years, but never quite succeeded the way I would have hoped to - alas.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hj Jenene, happy to help. It is a beautiful tank and I bet it will fill in beautifully. I actually came to discus from the reef side as well. I kept a Florida native reef tank. A bit different then what you generally see. I think there is a thread on it in my homesteader.
    Pat
    Oh sweet Pat, I’ll definitely look for that. Just as Daniel pointed out anything aquatic has always fascinated me as well. One of my favorite things to do is visit aquariums when I travel. There is a lot you can learn by studying tanks based on natural native environments. The creatures in my tank are all just thrown in there together... kind of a fixed aquatic United Nations meeting where not everyone gets along. I find neighbors extending tentacles and crossing boundaries by stinging each other when lights go out and they have to be separated like naughty children. I look forward to finding your thread. Thanks again for your help!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Jenene View Post
    Oh sweet Pat, I’ll definitely look for that. Just as Daniel pointed out anything aquatic has always fascinated me as well. One of my favorite things to do is visit aquariums when I travel. There is a lot you can learn by studying tanks based on natural native environments. The creatures in my tank are all just thrown in there together... kind of a fixed aquatic United Nations meeting where not everyone gets along. I find neighbors extending tentacles and crossing boundaries by stinging each other when lights go out and they have to be separated like naughty children. I look forward to finding your thread. Thanks again for your help!
    Here you go Jenene http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...=Before+discus. It was buried in there pretty deep.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    Fabulous, Jenene !

I've set up, or least 'tried' to set up, several reef tanks over the years, but never quite succeeded the way I would have hoped to - alas.
    You are not alone Paul. I’ve heard that many times. In fact it applies to me as well. Back in the 80’s and I am dating myself here... I tried setting up a salt water tank. Things were very different back then. Information was much more limited back then without the forums and internet searches. The equipment was also very archaic. Technology has come a very long way. Lighting choices are incredible, UV sterilizers, skimmers are more efficient and there are dosers and reactors galore. Also aquaculture has helped make many more corals not only more affordable but better adapted to living in a closed system. The test kits are continually improving and automation is making things easier. I popped back in at the right time. Any earlier and I think the process would have been much more frustrating. I’d love to see threads about issues that stopped hobbiests from reaching their goals. There would be so much to learn from them. Everyone finds their niche in the aquarium hobby. I’m really lucky to be able to keep balancing both for now. It was good to hear from you Paul. Thanks for stopping in.
    Last edited by Jenene; 11-28-2018 at 10:15 PM.