ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Question about Growth and Stunting

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Philip

Default Question about Growth and Stunting

Hello all!

I joined a few months ago but have been away from the forums tending to my discus with a lot of yall's advice from my first post and just the general pinned posts on all the threads.

So, I ordered 10 discus from an online shop that had a special going on. Kind of regretting not just ordering from one of the elite breeders, but still my discus have really given me joy to look at. I ordered them about in the 2" to 3" size and I quarantined for about 2 months in a 29 gallon bare bottom tank. I was doing daily 50% WCs every other day or 75% WCs if I missed some regular changes during my busy work weeks. After quarantine, I moved them all to a 75 gallon planted tank that I'm currently performing 50% WCs at least every other day or each day and I'm feeding anywhere from 2 to 5 times a day. It's been about 4 almost 5 months now with the discus and they are only about 3" to 4.25" in size. Some have the football-ish shape while others are starting to round out more and look pretty great. This is my first time raising Discus so I'm not sure if this is normal, or if I should be concerned about stunting the discus. I know the tank size is small for the 10 and I'll be purchasing a larger tank size soon, but I'd like to get advice to know how soon do I need to purchase my larger tank before it's too late and I've stunted the fish or if they are already stunted.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Phil4Discus; 11-24-2018 at 11:49 PM.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Question about Growth and Stunting

G'day mate. Do you have any pics of when you 1st bought your fish, and pics of them now? I think that would help to better answer your questions about if or when your fish are stunted.

Real Name
    Willie

I'd recommend that you read the DISCUS CHALLENGE GROW OUT CONTEST 2018 threads, particularly Warblad, to see the impact of making large and daily water changes on young discus. The differences in size and shape are dramatic over a period of four weeks. Also, making water changes in a planted tank is highly deceiving because all the cr*p stays in the gravel.

If you're looking to upgrade, I'd first consider what is needed to make water changes easier before just getting a large tank. Ultimately, that is the key to success in this hobby.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Ralph

I would have to agree with Willie....
    These questions are often asked as to why Discus are growing to their potential. However, besides the outcome due to lack of w/c's getting Discus from a reputable source who stand behind the quality plays a large roll to ensure your on the right track.
    -Knowing your water
    -Healthy Discus from a reputable source
    -Water quality maintained from high volume and consistent w/c's
    -High protein foods

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Philip

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    G'day mate. Do you have any pics of when you 1st bought your fish, and pics of them now? I think that would help to better answer your questions about if or when your fish are stunted.
    Here are some pics that I have. Sorry about the quality as I'm not a steady hand and my "smart" phone is pretty old with a poor quality camera. LINK

I bought the discus from Live Aquaria (not sure if that is frowned upon, but they have been good to me with many of my other fish for my other tanks). I just feel like they should be bigger by now as I do keep up with water changes. My water parameters have been great, though I'm using RODI water, so not sure if I am missing anything tap would have to offer. I've read about Seachem's Discus Trace formula, but not sure if that is more gimmick or an actual useful addition to my RODI water.

I started feeding different foods to try and see if I can get any different results. I've been feeding Omega One Flakes and Hikari Frozen Brine Shrimp, Bloodworms and Discus cubes. Just added Hikari Discus Bio-Gold and Cobalt Hans Discus flakes to mix it up. I'd like to try beef heart but I'm worried about the mess it's going to make.

Anyways, thanks for everyone's help! I should be getting a 125 gallon this weekend as I'm trading the 75 gallon they are currently stocked in. This will give me a better chance at changing the aquascape too as I'd like to have sand as the substrate above the fluval stratum substrate and put more free-swimming space in between everything.

Real Name
    Mervin

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Philip

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    Actually yes, this helps very much and is just what I'm looking for. As always, these guidelines can and will vary given all the different parameters, but I'm assuming mine are about 6 months old so this gives myself something to strive for. I appreciate this, thanks!

Real Name
    Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by Phil4Discus View Post
    Here are some pics that I have. Sorry about the quality as I'm not a steady hand and my "smart" phone is pretty old with a poor quality camera. LINK

I'm using RODI water, so not sure if I am missing anything tap would have to offer. I've read about Seachem's Discus Trace formula, but not sure if that is more gimmick or an actual useful addition to my RODI water.
    Yes your Discus are missing the essential minerals lost that is being filtered through your RODI unit. This could indeed slow the growth. You do not need RO water when growing out Discus period.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Philip

Thanks for the advice, Ralph. I've heard otherwise and that's why I had the RODI unit when I first began, plus I use it for my morning coffees and bottle waters. :-) I picked up the Discus Trace by Seachem to give it a try. I may even try to gradually increase tap water percentages into the WCs and see if that helps at all.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Philip

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I'd recommend that you read the DISCUS CHALLENGE GROW OUT CONTEST 2018 threads, particularly Warblad, to see the impact of making large and daily water changes on young discus. The differences in size and shape are dramatic over a period of four weeks. Also, making water changes in a planted tank is highly deceiving because all the cr*p stays in the gravel.

If you're looking to upgrade, I'd first consider what is needed to make water changes easier before just getting a large tank. Ultimately, that is the key to success in this hobby.

Willie
    I had no idea about this contest. This forum is freaking amazing! I'm reading them now and seeing everyone's techniques and I'm thrilled to be following this.