ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sick discus despite my efforts

Real Name
    Jörgen

Default Re: Sick discus despite my efforts

Regarding Seachem Safe: On my bucket it says 1 gram for every 1000 liters. I dose around 0.5-1.0 gram in my 450 liter tank. In my city the water is treated with monochloramine but is measured as total cl2 and is below 0.03 cl2/liter.

I have no idea if my dosage is enough or too much...

Registered Member

Hey, I noted you said "municipal water treated with Seachem Safe dosed after water change"

Is Seachem Safe used the same way as Prime? With Prime, pretty sure you dose the remaining water left in the tank after a wc and only then fill the tank up. I have never used Safe. Does it say when to dose during a wc?

Real Name
    Jörgen

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    Hey, I noted you said "municipal water treated with Seachem Safe dosed after water change"

Is Seachem Safe used the same way as Prime? With Prime, pretty sure you dose the remaining water left in the tank after a wc and only then fill the tank up. I have never used Safe. Does it say when to dose during a wc?
    Yes I dose for tank volume immediately after filling with water. Safe is the powder version of Prime so I guess they should be used in the same way. Maybe I should dose for entire tank volume before filling?

I dont think it's supposed to be used while medicating, right?

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

You will definitely still need to dechlorinate/treat your replacement water with Safe when medicating. The only thing that you need to stop/remove when medicating is activated carbon as it will remove the medication from your system.

Real Name
    Daniel

Oh, and yes, dose your tank with safe before filling. Small exposure to chlorine & chloramines is usually harmless, but if your fish are sick and stressed already, it would be more beneficial to add it 1st...

Real Name
    Patty

Good advice Daniel!
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Real Name
    Jörgen

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Oh, and yes, dose your tank with safe before filling. Small exposure to chlorine & chloramines is usually harmless, but if your fish are sick and stressed already, it would be more beneficial to add it 1st...
    Thank you for that advice!

Real Name
    Daniel

My pleasure mate. Happy to help. All the best on your treatment regime!!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by LoGeek View Post
    Thanks Al! I have searched in the forum and done the math and my 2 teaspoons equals around 400 mg/10gallons. I'll get right back to metro and try to keep 500 mg/10gallons for 7-10 days.
    The purity of metronidazole and other drugs can vary so that has to be taken into account. It's probably not the culprit here but something to consider if out of ideas.

Regarding Seachem Safe: On my bucket it says 1 gram for every 1000 liters. I dose around 0.5-1.0 gram in my 450 liter tank. In my city the water is treated with monochloramine but is measured as total cl2 and is below 0.03 cl2/liter.

I have no idea if my dosage is enough or too much...
    0.03 mg/L chlorine seems odd. It should be 1.5-2.5 mg/L and measured at your tap after running the water for 5 minutes.

500 mg of Safe in 225 L of water will remove 1.34 mg/L of chloramine. That's if you treat the water before using it. I heat it for several hours, use a pump to mix the water, and add dechlorinator If you dose it directly into the aquarium then you need a lot more to speed up the reaction.

The standard dose of Prime removes 3.8 mg/L of chloramine. The standard dose of Safe removes 0.66 mg/L. You need to dose Safe at 5.5-6 times the recommended dosage to match Prime.

Real Name
    Jörgen

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    The purity of metronidazole and other drugs can vary so that has to be taken into account. It's probably not the culprit here but something to consider if out of ideas.

0.03 mg/L chlorine seems odd. It should be 1.5-2.5 mg/L and measured at your tap after running the water for 5 minutes.

500 mg of Safe in 225 L of water will remove 1.34 mg/L of chloramine. That's if you treat the water before using it. I heat it for several hours, use a pump to mix the water, and add dechlorinator If you dose it directly into the aquarium then you need a lot more to speed up the reaction.

The standard dose of Prime removes 3.8 mg/L of chloramine. The standard dose of Safe removes 0.66 mg/L. You need to dose Safe at 5.5-6 times the recommended dosage to match Prime.
    Thanks! Here they strive for no more than 0.03 mg/l cl2. Maybe it's higher in other countries.

Real Name
    Jörgen

I've noticed that my sickest discus only uses one gill and breaths rapidly. Does that narrow down possible diseases and treatments?

Metro and Prazi hasn't had any effect so far.

Real Name
    Jörgen

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post

I have followed the instructions on my bucket and it's supposed to remove 4ppm, which equals 4 mg/l I presume. So with 0.03 mg/l in my tap I should be on the safe side.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

I've noticed that my sickest discus only uses one gill and breaths rapidly. Does that narrow down possible diseases and treatments?

Metro and Prazi hasn't had any effect so far.
    When my new batch of fry did this, I added salt (1TBS per gallon) and kept up with water changes and the problem went away. I believe that Al mentioned Salt reducing or calming their heavy breathing. I also added an air stone and up'd the temp to 88-89.

Real Name
    Jörgen

Two days ago I finished a 24h levamisole bath at 2.5 ppm. No visible change yet.

My sickest fish still spits out most food and only uses one gill. When trying to eat it shakes the head back and forth. Sometimes some sort of white slimy stuff comes out while it's shaking.

What do I do now...?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cyrus

About water, as already been mentioned above, 0.03 mg/L seems really weird,
    since that would not effectively disinfect anything... but well...

As for Safe, I think it's easier to understand in metric-scale:
    Dose = 1mg/L removes 1ppm (well, 1mg/L) of Chlorine/Chloramine.
    While you can treat x4 for Ammonia

As for the symptom, since I'm not the expert I'd not comment on that,
    but later if you choose to google "discus is breathing with one gill"
    your experience might (or might not) go like this;

***WARNING! SPOILER ALERT! THIS IS NOT THE RECOMMENDATION***

1. one Googles "discus is breathing with one gill"
    2. "gill flukes" hit
    3. one might post on forum "Should I treat gill flukes?"
    4. "Treat with? Dose?"
    5. experience members would be like "the only way to confirm gill fluke is to scrape & scope"
    6. one might not have a scope, yet decide to treat with something anyway
    7. in the case, Prazi or Paraguard might be chosen
    8. some fish might get better, some might not...
    9. one might go through 5 stages of loss
    10. one might experience revelation and seek for more enlightenment
    Last edited by snxtif; 12-09-2018 at 11:34 PM.
    Water change is not just a chore, it's my life now...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast