AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Otto vs Bristlenose

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

Default Otto vs Bristlenose

I have a 3 x 2 x 2 planted discus tank at 82F and currently have 2 male and 1 female bristlenose. They are fully mature and have bred a handful of time in the tank. I assume they do a good job of keeping the glass clean and scavenging what the discus miss but they keep uprooting the shallow rooted foreground carpet plant I am trying to establish.

How do people feel about Otto's? How many would I need to replace the 3 Bristlenoses? Do they do as good a job cleaning algae. Looking for someone who has owned both.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Otto vs Bristlenose

sorry, no experience on my part, but I would like to see a FTS of your 3x2x2

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

I have and have kept BN and common Otos (Otocinclus macrospilus) for years, but in my Southamerican community tank, not discus. You need probably a dozen otos to do the job of one BN. Otos can be tricky, often they are starved beyond redemption by the time they reach tbe retailer - make sure they look reasonably plump and ideally should go in a mature tank with plenty of algae for them to eat, at least untill they start eating blanched zucchini/courgettes and other veggies. They are also next to impossible to breed so 99.9% are wild caught so possible carriers of pathogens (particularly flagellates).
    Last edited by Paul Sabucchi; 11-27-2018 at 02:57 PM.

Otos can acquire a taste for discus slime and can get pretty persistent about it and they can harrasses the discus.

Ive witnessed it happen in a 180 gal tank...good luck catching the buggers in planted tank that big!

I wouldnt recommend them.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Otos can acquire a taste for discus slime and can get pretty persistent about it and they can harrasses the discus
    Especially at night when the ottos are busy and the discus are sleeping. Can cause discus to become startled and crash into the side of the tank...