ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: R/O system and supplies

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Thomas Adams

Default R/O system and supplies

Anyone have suggestions on a economical R/O system...AquaticLife as good as any?

Recommendations on booster pump?

Seems last time (20 years ago) there was a good catalog to order from? is there a good catalog still?

Thanks in advance

Real Name
    Ralph

Default Re: R/O system and supplies

Hello Thomas and welcome to Simply Discus.
    You will get mixed opinions on R/O unit brands. First of all what is the purpose for...etc. for breeding discus?
    As for booster pumps...this is only required if you have poor water pressure from tap source...etc. water pressure below 60 will require a booster pump.
    Are you on well water? or Municipal water?
    I don't have any first hand experience with this model but looking at the customer review it does appear to be good.
    Budget and volume of water per-day needed is what you will have to research or you may get another opinion / recommendation from another poster.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Real Name
    Brian

Things have changed since I last bought RO supplies. All I know is that at one time, I would not buy anything other Dow membranes. The housings and components are universal, but the membrane is the heart of the system.

Quality units used to cost $250+, and now I'm seeing 5 stage units with 13 free filters for $100? Seems a bit scary to me...

Real Name
    Nate

Hi Thomas - It was about 15 years ago I last bought an RO unit until looking again this summer. This is the unit I purchased - It appeared to be the most compact and complete unit out there. It has a booster pump, DI and is 100 gpd. It provides a constant reading of your water hardness and backflushed the RO filter automatically as needed. It is not economical per say. But if you are looking for all of the features it offers, this unit packages everything in a small unit that easily mounts under your cabinet.

Vertex Technologies Puratek Deluxe 100 GPD RO/DI Filter
    120 Discus Show Tank / 125 Grow Out Tank / Fish Room (almost) Under Construction
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

I've used an Apec ROES-50 for the last two years. TDS is still <10ppm. Also supports my auto-top off float valve and drinking water for fridge.