ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White sand bottom

Registered Member

Default White sand bottom

I have had my tank bb for the whole time I have had my discus what is around 1 year now and love how easy it is to clean . I love the look of the sand bottom and really want to try it out but worried about cleaning it and what not . I would like some info on how guys with sand bottom maintain it and if I had it to the existing tank will it affect the tank at all ? I don’t want to go more then a inch thick maybe less if I can

Default Re: White sand bottom

Recommend you do it - less than 1" of inert pool filter sand will do a very nice job.

Most pool supply stores carry # 20 or # 30 grade density quartz-based pool filter sand, usually in a nice off-white color, which I've used for years.

Generally under $15 for a 50 lb. bag - very clean - little or no rinsing/cleansing needed as there's very little if any dust or grit.

You can easily vacuum it by hovering it about 1/2"- 1" over the sand with a simple acrylic aquarium vacuum tool.
    The sand will siphon up into the vac tool about an inch or so , and the drop right back down.

Doesn't flow up into the water column when disturbed, so will not get into filtration intake tubes to clog up filtration, and Cories love it !

So don't worry about it - go for it - it's no problem - it'll look good, particularly with a couple of pieces of nice driftwood, with or without plants attached.

Registered Member

THank you for the reply will the pool filter sand change the ph at all and should I add it very slowly?

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Paul suggested "inert" pool sand. It won't affect your pH

Correct, Daniel.
    I've used PFS for many years and have not known or heard of any pool supply store carrying anything but inert sand.

Registered Member

How often do u guys clean it? I do 50% wc daily on my tank I was think cleaning it every day do get small debris of of it or is that to much ?

Real Name
    Daniel

I am BB atm as well mate, but given their love of clean water, and the potential for sand to trap unwanted particles, daily sand vac'ing sure wouldn't hurt anything

Real Name
    Daniel

You can do a simple test to make sure it is inert. Put some 1 tbsp sand in a glass, add some white vinegar (acidic) to cover it, if the sand is not inert it will fizz or make bubbles. No fizz or bubbles and you're good to go. Stay away from anything coral or shell based. Pool sand is almost always silica, which is what glass is made from. It is hard and inert.
    HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Kfactor View Post
    How often do u guys clean it? I do 50% wc daily on my tank I was think cleaning it every day do get small debris of of it or is that to much ?
    I vacuumed the sand each day with every wc - takes only 2-3 minutes.

Registered Member

I've had PFS for years and almost everything tends to sit on top of the sand and is easily vacuumed out. It's easy to maintain and definitely makes your tank look a lot better. The fun thing to do, is get some Cali Black worms and see cories go nuts trying to dig them out of the sand.

Registered Member

I found pool filter sand at a local pool place but the colour is not what I’m looking for at another place they have silica sand in different colours can I use that as well? And what cories do u recommend?

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

If you can't find the right color in PFS I'm a big fan of either https://www.petsmart.com/fish/decor-...d-5208902.html or if the color isn't right this is whiter https://www.bigalspets.com/estes-sto...html?sku=28199

Debris tends to settle on-top of sand when it is this fine. I would avoid going too fine as it can make it difficult to suck up the poop without disturbing the sand. I found Caribsea super naturals too fine.

PFS carried by pool supply stores is silica sand, usually quartz-based, and inert - if 'another place' has silica sands and you find a color you like, just be sure they can confirm it's inert, and you're good to go.

As for Cories, all of the various strains have similar traits, are hardy generally, make peaceful tank-mates, and can handle higher temps if need be ( e.g. into the mid 80's F). I've found Panda Cories to be a bit more sensitive than others though, particularly when younger/smaller.

Registered Member

Yeah, make sure the sand isn't too fine, as most of the colored sand is, because it'll get sucked up and out very easily when you vacuum the tank. I've had good luck with sterbai and adolfi cories. I'd love to try orange lasers, but last I looked they were ridiculously expensive.

Registered Member

I found some whiter silica sand at a construction place and I tested with vinegar and it Dident fizz so am I safe to say it’s good ? But my only problem it’s a little fine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast