AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Help me save a life! it want to live.

Registered Member

Default Help me save a life! it want to live.

Hey all,

Long story short. After many unsuccessful spawn, I thought I had a good chance earlier this week when I had about 20-30 wrigglers. Went away for an hour came back and all the fry was gone. I read somewhere that the parent would eat the fry if it was too small of a batch, say under 50? it could be a waste of their time? Could that really be true?

Any, miraculously there was ONE wriggler left sticking on the cone that the parent couldn't get through. I decide what the heck, sucked it out and I put it in a plastic cup submerse inside the main tank... Somehow that thing is alive since Tuesday and today is Friday. It look like it has develop quite a bit since then, I can see the tail and it's getting slightly bigger. But I'm not sure if it's really free swimming yet, or at least it try to. But it seem there's something stuck on it head making it keep sticking to places. Is this the yolk sag everyone is talking about? It's hard to see clearly, but it white and looking like fungus sticking on top of it head? Should I try to detach it from this so he can free swim?

I know, I know... should have just let it go. But hey, a life is a life and if the dude want to live... I am here to give him a chance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member

Default Re: Help me save a life! it want to live.

Hi JimmYaz,

Thanks for the response to my thread. I think I can share a response to your situation as well. But take my advice with a grain of salt. I've gotten to the free-swimmer stage several times, but was only recently able to keep them from dying off.

The easy quetion to answer is the yolk sack. That would not be on their head...at least not in a healthy fry. Also, in my limited experience they can only feed off that for a few days.

If you want to raise the one fry you should get him some food, since he can't feed off the parents now. I've been using egg-yolk mix on my 1st successful batch. Smeared around the edge of the bowl they float in. You could also try Baby Brine Shrimp. I've read that the San Francisco Bay variety is small enough for fry to eat at this stage.

If a fry is healthy it should be free swimming within a few days from wriggling. I'll tell you though some of mine would lay on the bottom for a while, in the first few days. I had to watch at length to see if they could actually swim around.

I hate to ask this, but are you sure it hasn't already passed? It may have died and grown fungus that stuck it to the wall. Hopefully that isn't te case!

Wish you the best of luck. Either way I'm sure you'll get it sooner or later.

Evan

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revan View Post
    Hi JimmYaz,

I hate to ask this, but are you sure it hasn't already passed? It may have died and grown fungus that stuck it to the wall. Hopefully that isn't te case!

Wish you the best of luck. Either way I'm sure you'll get it sooner or later.

Evan
    Nope, that thing is still wiggling, it stay still most of the time, but when I use a turkey suction to touch of blow air on it, it wiggles. That's why I know this dude is fighting hard to live. I have tried to smere egg yolk on a air stone and try to get it attach. But again. it would just get attached to the white thing on it head.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Thomas

Hey, I cannot answer all your questions but I member learning somewhere that during their first days, baby discus have something on their forehead that keeps them attached to surfaces.
    I'm sure someone who's more knowledgeable will chime in

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by thomaswal View Post
    Hey, I cannot answer all your questions but I member learning somewhere that during their first days, baby discus have something on their forehead that keeps them attached to surfaces.
    I'm sure someone who's more knowledgeable will chime in
    I think so too. Anyhow, it's off and now swiming all of the place, been trying to feed it egg yolk. But I am unsure if it's attached eating any or not.