AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: What would you do

Default What would you do

My best pair just had a spawn go free swimming. The male of the pair is a show quality fish. The female is a very good fish. Sometimes they go forever without breeding. When they do breed most of the eggs are not fertile. The last time they spawned they had one of their very small spawns...may be 25 free swimmers. Everything was going well until suddenly on day six the pair ate their kids and spawned again. This is the only time they have done that. I only got 2 wigglers from their next spawn so I wiped them and the fungused eggs off the cone.

They have spawned again. The wigglers are attaching as I type. It is almost a decent spawn. I figure there are are around 60 little ones. I'm asking now because I only have 6 days to decide what to do. I may never get a spawn this big from them again. Should I remove the little fry at 5 days and raise them myself or take a chance on leaving them with mom and dad.

My heart tells me to leave them. I like leaving the kids with their parents until they don't care about each other. My head tells me to play it safe and pull the kids at 5 days. If you were me would you follow your heart or your head?
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 11-29-2018 at 04:21 PM.
    Mama Bear

Default Re: What would you do

Liz,
    If you really want these fry and are sure you can raise them ( I know you can) I would remove them and do so. You can let the parents have the next batch. I have a feeling BTW the next batch will be sooner and more wigglers.

Thats what I would do.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

You agree with my head. I know that I can raise them right and I have a 10 gallon already set up that I can move them to. Thanks for the advice. I will likely follow it.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Thomas

I have never bred discus so I cannot speak from experience.

What I can nonetheless say is that, given the history with this couple and given your ability to raise the fry yourself, I'd advise on removing the fry from the parents before they get eaten.
    You'd probably regret not removing them before they get eaten more than you'd regret not having left them with their parents.

Best of luck with this new batch

Thomas, what you said made my heart and my head agree. My poor heart is such a gluten for punishment. Every time my Discus disappoint me it's like a kick on the guts for my heart, I can't believe that it wanted to be hurt once again. Of course I will remove the kids. My heart and my head are no longer at war. Thank you much.
    Mama Bear

Yesterday the babies were less interested in the parents and more interested in hunting BBS, so after WC I moved them to a 10 gallon. The parents were not pleased. Dad bit me so hard it almost hurt.

This morning I gave them a ton of BBS and tossed in some Discus Gold. They went through all those BBS in short order. When I went down to the fish room around 10 they had started picking at the food at the bottom.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Thomas

Hey!
    So in the end, it's been 11 days since they spawned, right? I guess it means around 5 days free-swimming...? That's the stage at which the parents (these ones) usually eat their fry, right?
    Do you still have around 60 fry or are there fewer?
    I'm happy to hear that they eat on their own

Oh and can you pleeeease post a picture?

You're right about the time frame.
    As far as I can tell I have as many now as I started with.

I would love, love, love to post pics but my computer has done something I don't understand how to fix. I am suddenly unable to get my pics from my camera to my photo editing software.
    Mama Bear