ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Parent Cleansing

Default Parent Cleansing

Is it safe to say that when you QT any adult discus and clean them up for your main tank, that it's the same as cleaning up your parent fish for breeding? I've heard a lot of talk about cleaning up your parent discus so your offspring don't get gill flukes and stuff. So do you clean them up just like any new acquisition you might get or something different? Jim in Ohio

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Parent Cleansing

It's a very good idea! Flukes can be deadly to fry...

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    It's a very good idea! Flukes can be deadly to fry...
    Yes, I get it but is it the same cleansing procedure as with a fish in QT, or like a observation for 6 weeks. I've been reading posts by other members that say if you start with a clean fish there's no need for medications. So again what would be the procedure to clean up your breeding pair for better fry results?

I don't think observation is enough when fry are involved. Most adults can deal with gill parasites but fry can't. Rid Ich+ (formalin and malachite green) is my go to med: 3 days, 10 day break, another 3 days with big water changes between each dose. All of my catfish go through this regimen like this, but my experience with discus breeding is limited.

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Just read elsewere someone advocating the use of PP every 3rd day for 7 cycles to rid Dactylogyrus before breeding

There use to be a member on here John_Nicholson that always advocated no use of Medications unless the fish showed signs of a disease. All I'm wondering is from what he always preached was if you have clean parents buy reputable discus there would be no use for any cleaning what so ever. That's why I keep asking the question do you clean up your breeders before you breed them just like you would a new arrival?

Hi Jimmy,
    I don't care where the Fish come from, Until they are in my tanks and under my care they are suspect of carrying pathogens. Quarantine and cleaning up your pairs are similar but not the same thing unless you take the steps to make them that. Some choose to accept the word of the seller that the fish are clean or have been treated. That's their choice. Sometimes you get lucky.,,More often than not you get very frustrated. I prefer to do things myself.

You are having a tough time getting the specific answer you want here because people are not willing to share what they do or don't do because they don't want be responsible if you or someone else kills their fish, or they don't want their "secret" method out there. They also don't want to have "experts" tell them that what they are doing to clean up their pairs is wrong or won't work as that would be embarrassing. These are all valid reasons for them,

Here is what I do... use at your own risk.

Salt dips to a new clean tank. A salt dip will strip off the slime coat and parasites, it ruptures flukes. It does not necessary kill the eggs but it helps remove those. The key is the pair need to be moved to a clean tank. When I am done with the salt dips, I have established sponges that I use that been cycled with ammonia I use. 9/10 times this alone repeated a few times will deal with external parasites and pathogens, Its not for the faint of heart as seeing your prize pair roll over and float to the top will scare the heck out of you the first time. Practice on your least favorite fish.

I will follow this up after several days rest with either formalin or quick cure... just as a precaution.

I rarely use PP.

I have already dewormed the fish in QT so I do not need to do that again.

Thats it. Is it the only way do things? No. Is it the best way to condition a pair? For me, it works.

The true test is if the pair carries healthy fry .. If so, awesome. If not, Cull fry and back to the pair cleanup.

Al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 12-02-2018 at 12:24 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Thanks so very much for that response Al, that's all I needed was an answer that could help me on my decision on what I want to do. It's my decision but knowing what other people have tried whether it worked or not gives me an idea of doing something to make my breeding pair more healthy. Thanks Jim in Ohio