ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone know about HMFs?

Real Name
    Frank

Default Re: Anyone know about HMFs?

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Newenglandfoam.com might work. They sell polyether foam and say that they make foam for aquaculture. They don't state the thickness of their foam. I'll have to phone them to find out more. First, I need to get over the stress of this. I did loose some fish after all. As soon as I saw that they were ill I dumped them into a tank with clean water. At first they seemed to recover, but when I checked later, all but 2 were dead and I don't hold out a lot of hope for them.
    Sorry for that ... I was hopeful based on your previous post.

At least I can take consolation in knowing that I saved you from a disaster.
    Mama Bear

I'm not going to mess around with trying to save money. I just ordered a 39X39X3" sheet of Poret I can't afford it, but I'll get depressed every time I go to the fish room if I don't end this project on a good note.

I lost all the fish that I talked about earlier. Also, I cut a section of foam for my 120 wide. The foam was in the tank just long for me to figure out that it was too flexible for that width tank. When I next looked, the 15 adult adult Angles in that tank were huddled in a corner with their heads up. I did a 90% WC and they seemed fine. Next time I looked they were doing the same so I gave them another 90%. I just looked again. A few look close to normal, the jury is still out on the rest of them. My pet 17 year old common pleco will be fine. I have to go down very soon to do WC on the Discus tanks. I'm not looking forward to going down there again. Actually, I dread it.

The entire disaster was all my own fault. I got way too excited because I felt sure this would work that I wasn't being careful. The hard lessons are the lessons that stick. I hope I've learned a lesson from this debacle.

I did some digging and found this out on the Swiss Tropicals site I bet that this is what killed my fish.
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 12-16-2018 at 05:40 PM.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I'm not going to mess around with trying to save money. I just ordered a 39X39X3" sheet of Poret I can't afford it, but I'll get depressed every time I go to the fish room if I don't end this project on a good note.

I lost all the fish that I talked about earlier. Also, I cut a section of foam for my 120 wide. The foam was in the tank just long for me to figure out that it was too flexible for that width tank. When I next looked, the 15 adult adult Angles in that tank were huddled in a corner with their heads up. I did a 90% WC and they seemed fine. Next time I looked they were doing the same so I gave them another 90%. I just looked again. A few look close to normal, the jury is still out on the rest of them. My pet 17 year old common pleco will be fine. I have to go down very soon to do WC on the Discus tanks. I'm not looking forward to going down there again. Actually, I dread it.

The entire disaster was all my own fault. I got way too excited because I felt sure this would work that I wasn't being careful. The hard lessons are the lessons that stick. I hope I've learned a lesson from this debacle.

I did some digging and found this out on the Swiss Tropicals site I bet that this is what killed my fish.
    Liz, what did you find out? I am glad you found what you needed from a reliable source.

I read your comments with a sick feeling in my stomach. I hope we hear a good report when you went back down.

Bummer on the lost fish Liz. I know these accidents happen to us all from time to time... Its part of the learning curve with fish keeping. Everytime I think I am well up on the curve something happens that makes he realize I am still learning. Hang in there.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

I'd be interested in knowing what you found out from Swiss Tropicals and what caused the toxicity?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123