ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know about HMFs?

Default Anyone know about HMFs?

I've been reading and YouTubeing around and the consensus is that they only work for smaller tanks because there isn't enough water flow for large tanks. I want to put one in a 120 (I already have the foam). I don't see why I can add more lift tubes. My air pump from Jehmco produces air galore. Am I thinking right or am I mistaken?
    Mama Bear

Default Re: Anyone know about HMFs?

You're thinking right about the lift tubes, but HMF's can be used on any size tank. Do you have the fancy Jetlifters/airstone and PVC/something else?

Best flow rate depends on foam dimensions and porosity. Turnover rate for fine foam shouldn't be much more than 1 to 2.5 times per hour and coarse no more than 4 to 5. Post the foam dimensions, and I can run them through a flow calculator if you'd like.

Thanks, Adam. The foam is large pore 17x17x3. I don't know if the information from the flow calculator will help me because I don't know how to figure out how to measure low rate per hour. Do I get a gallon jug and see how fast it fills in a minute and multiply by 60?
    Mama Bear

150 to 300 gph. What type of lift tubes do you have? No need to fill jugs!

I was going to make my own from 1/2" PVC.
    Mama Bear

Should be about 30-40 gph with good air flow, so I'd use three. No big deal if the total gph ends up under 150, just more time for the filter to do its magic.

Dang. I had a feeling that 3 would be the right number but I hate just going with my feelings.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Mark

SwissTropicals has large size jetlifters that will work great. I got to meet the owner at a local cichlid show,and he was doing demos of HMFs.

To me a project like this is fun and easy. And it is so much cheaper.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Cove Beach View Post
    SwissTropicals has large size jetlifters that will work great. I got to meet the owner at a local cichlid show,and he was doing demos of HMFs.
    I just ordered from them. They were very helpful and promptly answered all my questions via email.

I'm sure that they excellent in every, but I'm broke. I spend all my money on my animals. It's shameful, but I don't care.

I was just poking around on line and found this. It would be great if this would work as a filter for our fish. I know that they say that it hasn't been tested in aquariums, but I'm willing to try it. I contacted them. I asked if it had been flame retardants and a list of other toxins. If they say it doesn't I'm going try to talk them into to cut me a small piece so I could find out for myself. What a fun experiment.
    https://www.foambymail.com/SFF-/spea...am-30-ppi.html
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Frank

No slam on not ordering them, Liz. I certainly understand broke.

Nick from Foam by Mail answered my email first thing this morning. I think I'm going to give the stuff a try. First, I have a couple of questions for you guys. A half a sheet from these guys will do 2 of my 60 gallon wide tanks with none left over! But the largest thickness it comes in is 2". Is that thick enough for a 36X24 tank? If not is there any reason I couldn't put a 2" and a 1" sheet together? Also, normal open pore foam isn't as good as reticulated open pore, right? Is it good enough?

This is what Nick said:
    Hi Mary,

To the best of my knowledge, the foam has not been exposed to the substances you listed. I have included a Material Data Sheet that covers all of our Polyurethane products, including the Speaker/Filter Foam for your reference, in case that is helpful! I believe the warning is on there simply because the foam was never tested in a fish tank filter capacity, and we do understand that fish tank environments can be sensitive to a variety of substances.

Speaker/Filter Foam: https://www.foambymail.com/SFF-/spea...am-30-ppi.html

Physical data sheets: https://www.foambymail.com/speaker-f...et-30-ppi.html
    Mama Bear

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

Hi Liz,

The basic description, reticulated polyether polyurethane foam is the same between the two. I'd include about an inch or so of 'squeeze' on the long dimension to help hold the foam in place. To help hold the foam in place you could add a couple of little glass tabs siliconed to the bottom of the tank. To remove additives you could run a bleach or oxi-clean solution if you are concerned. If the foam is suitable for long-term use it should stand up to 24h of either treatment and is something I would do if I were using non-aquarium foam.

That is great info, James. Thank you so much
    Mama Bear

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast