AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: New fish died

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Colin Chaffers

Default New fish died

I've had my tank for over a year now, I started off with 12 fish and lost 3 over the year, so I decided to replacement them with 3 more. Over the course of the following month the 3 new fish died (all at different times), but the other 9 are still ok. So I'm wondering if there was something wrong with the fish or something different with my tank set up? I change 60% of the water every 4 days and clean the tank and filters.

Real Name
    West

Default Re: New fish died

What is your tank setup, and water perimeters. Also what filters are you using?

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Were the original 12 all from the same source? If you didn't quarantine the new fish it is likely that the 9 have immunity to some pathogen that the new 3 did not, and they ultimately succumbed to it and died. Can you tell us more about how this came about? Did you notice any symptoms developing? Hiding in rear of tank, darkened color, not eating, fin clamping or flicking, inflamed gills or rapid respirations?

Please complete the questionnaire so we can better help you.

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _____

- ph _____

- ammonia reading ____

- nitrite reading ____

- nitrate reading ____

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water ____

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

10. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

11. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Colin Chaffers

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Were the original 12 all from the same source? If you didn't quarantine the new fish it is likely that the 9 have immunity to some pathogen that the new 3 did not, and they ultimately succumbed to it and died. Can you tell us more about how this came about? Did you notice any symptoms developing? Hiding in rear of tank, darkened color, not eating, fin clamping or flicking, inflamed gills or rapid respirations?
    The 12 original fish were two sources. The 3 that died were from the same tank as one of the original. But this is a fish shop and he buy from a market elsewhere, so its very likely the new fish were not from the same batch as the original fish. The new fish were the same size and colour so probably from the same batch.

At first when added to the tank they settled in very well, swimming with the other fish and getting used to the new feeding arrangements. After a week or so, one went off on its own, stopped eating, did not have much movement and over night died, I looked closely at the fish when I removed them and could not see anything wrong, a few weeks later the same happened to the second one and then the third. The 9 remaining were fine and nothing changed in the tank.

I did not quarantine the fish, if I do in future how long should I do it for?

It sounds as if either the new fish had something wrong or the fish in the tank.