ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: When to Stop Feeding Egg Yolk Mix?

Registered Member

Default When to Stop Feeding Egg Yolk Mix?

Hey All,

I'm on Day 11 after free-swim with my first artificially raised batch. About 130 strong fry.

I've been feeding egg yolk mix smeared along the edge of the bowl they float in. Also been been feeding BBS since Day 3.

Am I good to shift entirely to BBS now? I currently have the Salt Lakes variety.

The fry seem to love the egg yolk still. They constantly swim around the edge of the bowl looking for it. But it fouls the water something fierce and I'd like to shift away from it.

Would love any feedback from experienced breeders. Thank you!

Evan

Registered Member

Default Re: When to Stop Feeding Egg Yolk Mix?

Revan - They will have no trouble with BBS as the sole source of food for now. Best wishes.
    Richard

Registered Member

hi , all
    i tried making some egg yolk with a bit of spirulina in it but the fry did not like it at all .
    they never actually grew and slowly started dying one by one , so finally i put them with foster parents and they do better now .
    is there a secret to make this palatable and nutritious ?

Registered Member

Hi klr-dude. The mixture I used, and what seems to be prevalent based on my research, was the below:

- one hard boiled egg yolk, finely ground
    - one raw egg yolk
    - spirulina flakes, finely ground (I used about 1 tsp.)
    - mix it all together and should come out greenish-yellow with a peanut-butter consistency

I've only used this on one batch of fry so far...but they seemed to love it.

It'll last a while, but I re-made it every other day, rather than use old leftovers.

Thank you,

Evan