AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How's this for home living in the country?

Default How's this for home living in the country?

I lost water just after WC last night. My neighbors had water so I knew it was me. I drove up to the water meter which is at the end of my long dirt road. That thing was spinning like it was in a spinning race. I turned it off. When I got back to the house I saw that the horse had broken off the 1" PVC pipe hooked to her automatic waterer. I gave it a bit of a look but it was dark so I couldn't see a lot. It looked like I could at least cap it off in the morning and that it wouldn't be too hard.

Wrong. The pipe was broken off below ground. I had to do a whole lot of digging just to drain the water so I could get to it. I saw that it was SCH 20 pipe. The pipe was old and brittle and broke off terribly when I tired to cut it with my PVC cutters. Then I had to dig more so I could get to it with the hack saw. Thank goodness I had most of the 1" stuff I needed to cap it off until I got to the hardware store and picked up the connectors I needed to connect the 1" pipe to the 3/4"' male hose that goes to the waterer.

I am full of mud from tip to toe. My shoes are caked with mud and my feet are wet. I want a hot bath in the worst way, but since it's a bit chilly out I think I'd be wise to let the PVC cement cure for a little while before I drive down to the water meter and turn it on. The last thing I want is for it to blow off and have to do the job again.

Ah, the wonderful idyllic life in the country...It's not always as idyllic as it's cracked up to be.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: How's this for home living in the country?

Sorry Liz! What a pain. We have an above ground holding tank for our well, and a couple years ago I finally wrapped the exposed pvc pipes with a heating cable and insulation. Before that, something would freeze and crack most years, running us out of water. We still have to be careful in August when the water table gets low, too.

Makes you think that plumbers are actually worth the outrageous prices they make, doesn't it? But I'm not made of money and I've always taken pride in being able to do for myself.

All is finally right with the world. I celebrated by flushing the toilet. Next, I'll take a good hot bath and wash my filthy clothes. After that I might consider a nap even though I'm not usually a nap taker.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Around here they say "Aiutati che Dio ti aiuta": help yourself and God will lend a hand but you are definitely hard core! Respect fro a fellow smallholder!
    My discus are not fat...just big fish-boned

Real Name
    Frank

Sorry for the mess!!! Time to heat up the fireplace with a cup of warm beverage until the water gets back on.

Real Name
    Brian

You are very self reliant! Time to relax and drink a beer!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Nice going Liz and glad you are almost back to normal. That hot shower will feel good
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Jeep, I just cracked a Sam Adams. I may make an eggnog with brandy after I do WC.

I'm kind of proud of myself for doing all these hard jobs. After all I'm almost 68 years old and have a bad back. It never occurred to me that others would be impressed. Thanks to everyone for your kind words.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I lost water just after WC last night. My neighbors had water so I knew it was me. I drove up to the water meter which is at the end of my long dirt road. That thing was spinning like it was in a spinning race. I turned it off. When I got back to the house I saw that the horse had broken off the 1" PVC pipe hooked to her automatic waterer. I gave it a bit of a look but it was dark so I couldn't see a lot. It looked like I could at least cap it off in the morning and that it wouldn't be too hard.

Wrong. The pipe was broken off below ground. I had to do a whole lot of digging just to drain the water so I could get to it. I saw that it was SCH 20 pipe. The pipe was old and brittle and broke off terribly when I tired to cut it with my PVC cutters. Then I had to dig more so I could get to it with the hack saw. Thank goodness I had most of the 1" stuff I needed to cap it off until I got to the hardware store and picked up the connectors I needed to connect the 1" pipe to the 3/4"' male hose that goes to the waterer.

I am full of mud from tip to toe. My shoes are caked with mud and my feet are wet. I want a hot bath in the worst way, but since it's a bit chilly out I think I'd be wise to let the PVC cement cure for a little while before I drive down to the water meter and turn it on. The last thing I want is for it to blow off and have to do the job again.

Ah, the wonderful idyllic life in the country...It's not always as idyllic as it's cracked up to be.
    Liz,
    I have to laugh as I too live in the country and your story is extremely reminescent of one of my well mis-adventures when I lost water.. Had to dig up the well by hand, 6 feet down to get to the cap....only to find the idiot I bought the house from marked the deed wrong. The well was actually 25 yards further out! I was so ticked. The spot he mapped out was where he had a pipe break once. WE figured tish out because of how he fixed it... He wrapped it with duct tape and poured some concrete over the break...I kid you not!

Yes country life aint what its cracked up to be, but you did well dealing with it!

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Liz,
    I have to laugh as I too live in the country and your story is extremely reminescent of one of my well mis-adventures when I lost water.. Had to dig up the well by hand, 6 feet down to get to the cap....only to find the idiot I bought the house from marked the deed wrong. The well was actually 25 yards further out! I was so ticked. The spot he mapped out was where he had a pipe break once. WE figured tish out because of how he fixed it... He wrapped it with duct tape and poured some concrete over the break...I kid you not!

Yes country life aint what its cracked up to be, but you did well dealing with it!

al
    OMG. That guy was a total idiot! Duct tape and concrete? After you did all that digging I bet you were ready to track him down and put a serious hurtin' on him.
    Mama Bear

I was ready to bury him in the hole with concrete, just up to his neck of course.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

That is more gentle then staking him on top of an ant hill in the boiling sun
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    That is more gentle then staking him on top of an ant hill in the boiling sun
    Pat
    I wouldn't want to piss you off! EVER! lol.

Liz, you sound like you're quite handy and handled it very well. I cannot imagine someone who relies on contractors. Imagine waiting for someone to come and turn off your water?

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    I was ready to bury him in the hole with concrete, just up to his neck of course.
    Pat Al had this 6' hole he dug for nothing. The idiot used duct tape and concrete to fix a cracked pipe! The concrete is appropriate. Duct tape would have been necessary to cover the guy's mouth as he slowly died of dehydration.

Mando, the Mama Bear is the one you don't want to piss off. Pat is the kind one here. Of course we would never go to those lengths, but having it in our heads helps calm down the fury that we feel.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member PorcelainChina59's Avatar
    Real Name
    Patricia A Ireland-Martin

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Jeep, I just cracked a Sam Adams. I may make an eggnog with brandy after I do WC.

I'm kind of proud of myself for doing all these hard jobs. After all I'm almost 68 years old and have a bad back. It never occurred to me that others would be impressed. Thanks to everyone for your kind words.
    Are you sure your not from Alaska. That pioneering spirit and self reliance is the hallmark of an Alaskan. Our life here is to prepare for anything and take care of it asap because it will just get bigger and out of hand. Hats off to you and attitude to life--no self wallowing for you. I'd take a bath with Epsom salts though, not a shower.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast