AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: needs some advice on withering discus, and you might want to overt your eyes

Default needs some advice on withering discus, and you might want to overt your eyes

Need some advice on withering discus, and you might want to overt your eyes
    My blue diamonds have been on a downward trend.
    They are now in qtank.
    Have lost this one. Have two more, but not hopeful.

BD-buldge eye.jpg

Default Re: needs some advice on withering discus, and you might want to overt your eyes

they had cloudy eye, on and off, and seemed to be mending from HLLE.
    an aggressive W/C resulted in fast deterioration. aggressive in that 50 of the gallons weren't aged and temp was cold. i underestimated the effect on the display tank. the next AM they looked like bubble eye goldfish

moved them to q tank
    as all symptoms point to bacteria infection
    i treated with kanaplex 2x dose for several hours, then 100% w/c then normal dose for 5 days, and i saw a bit of improvement day 1 and 2, but then none.
    i then switched to metro, then on day 3 of metro, this one died

i've been treating the water instead of the food so i knew what the dosage was, in food its crap shoot what they eat.

Default Re: needs some advice on withering discus, and you might want to overt your eyes

db-buldge eye 2.jpg

its eye progressed to this, i know its a fuzzy pic, but you get the idea, the second membrane buldged out

Jack,
    aggressive in that 50 of the gallons weren't aged and temp was cold. i underestimated the effect on the display tank. the next AM they looked like bubble eye goldfish
    If the eyes swelled up overnight like that from wc it likely has bubble disease... its from too much dissolved gas in the water. Yours would be the most extreme I have seen.

curious on this... have you treated with salt and formalin in the last month or so?

al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 11-30-2018 at 09:33 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Jack,

If the eyes swelled up overnight like that from wc its likely has bubble disease... it from too much dissolved gas in the water. Yours would be the most extreme I have seen.

curious on this... have you treated with salt and formalin in the last month or so?

al
    no salt or formalin

last thing they had was metro food.

Jack,
    Its not likely those will survive.
    It possibly a bacterial infection at this point. There comes a time when you need to consider Euthanizing your fish and starting over.. bleach everything in case its something like mycobacteria.

Im sorry.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

one died
    2nd: both eyes back in head, and the lens clearing up.
    3rd has also improved, eye back in head, but has been a sickly runt from the juvi stage and still is.

Real Name
    Patty

Sorry to hear this Jack. It doesn’t sound as though the runt has much of a chance, but my runt surprised me when he got sick. Hope yours surprises you as well.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    Sorry to hear this Jack. It doesn’t sound as though the runt has much of a chance, but my runt surprised me when he got sick. Hope yours surprises you as well.
    Patty
    thanks. they are fish, but you get attached to them after raising them from fry. i was glad to finally see a result from attempting a save.