AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Discus laying flat for about a month long.

Registered Member

Default Discus laying flat for about a month long.

For the life of me i cannot figure out what is wrong with these 3 discus, all they do is lie on their side. I've had them for several months and out of the blue they start getting sickly and laying on their sides.

Let's get the basic questions you're likely going to ask me out of the way.

Tanks are cycled for months
    Bare bottom tank
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrates 0
    PH 7.0~7.4 consistently
    I have soft water about 75 TDS or lower but in general discus normally thrive here.
    No signs of parasites, no stringy poop, gill flukes etc.

I do daily water changes of 50%-100%

I tried epsom salt, Currently dosing with Furan2, when it started it was all of them laying down, now i'm left with just 3 doing this. The furan2 seemed to have helped most of them as they are eating and really energetic. The last 3 won't recover and i've resorted to force feeding them to keep them alive.

I've kept discus for years and usually what i do to treat them normally works. This is the first time something like this has persisted for over a month. I figure though I am a veteran in the discus keeping portion of the hobby I figure it's time to just buckle down and get additional feedback. I will post picture's later but for now based off this information, does anyone have a clue?

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Discus laying flat for about a month long.

Hello dylamos. You've given some good information to start with, but can you please follow this link and copy the questionnaire, fill out the requested information and paste it onto this thread? This may help us resolve your issues. Photo's are always nice to have as well.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...lease-complete

Brian

Registered Member

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

Fish had problems for about a month and 1 week. After reading through the thread perhaps it was the san fransisco blood worms.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

The fish have been laying on their sides for over a month, like literally flat on their sides.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Furan2, API general cure.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

Currently in 20 gallon breeder as a hospital tank, lived in a 55 gallon bare bottom growout.

total of 8 fish in the tank, all 8 got sick, 5/8 recovered. Don't know the ages of the fish, probably between 3 months ~ 5 months old

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

Once or twice a day 50~100% water change every day.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

bare bottom, tank running for 6 months before discus added

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

No, the water is consistent.

8. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp 86

- ph 7.0~7.4

- ammonia reading 0

- nitrite reading 0

- nitrate reading 0

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water 100%

- RO water ____

9. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

No

10. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

I feed beefheart or bloodworms. Recently used those san fransisco gumdrop bloodworms instead of hikari like i normally do. They get fed two or 3 times a day. Usually once in the morning and once at night and on the weekends morning, afternoon, night, proceeded by water changes after they finish eating.

11. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

https://ibb.co/3F8SXZP
    https://ibb.co/HqrPY82

Registered Member

Despite my efforts for almost 2 months, one of the discus has just passed. I spent so much money trying to revive it only met with failure. The good news is that the others that were sick are pretty healthy and acting like piranhas again. It's sad but it's just part of the hobby.

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Sorry for the loss
    My discus are not fat...just big fish-boned

Registered Member

I had this happen as weel please let me know what was the cause of this. Thank mu