ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warm Tap Water in Aging Barrel?

Registered Member

Default Warm Tap Water in Aging Barrel?

Couldn't quite heat up 55g of cold water in 24 hours with a 250w heater. Is it ok to use warm tap water from a house water heater? I would think that would help with the electricity bill too.

Default Re: Warm Tap Water in Aging Barrel?

I don't think it will hurt but keep an eye on the fish. If they seem stressed quit using it and buy a bigger heater.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

If you do this you will not be aging your water. I've found this not to be a great idea during the winter time because there is more Co2 this time of year. As part of my remodeling project, I'm adding a 120v electric tankless water heater that I will be pumping the water through from the aging barrels to the tanks...

Registered Member

Sorry, just to be clear, what I mean is to dump warm tap water into the aging barrel and let it aerate for 24hrs before adding to tank. That should release the CO2 and bring my pH down to tank level. Just curious about using water from water heater.

That's what I thought you meant. They say that there can be copper leaching from something in the hot water heater. (at least that I think they say). That's why it's suggested that you don't use it. Try some hot in mostly tap and let the heaters do the rest. You will be able to tell if the stressed if you watch them. Sometimes it takes a long time before signs of stress to show up.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Rick May

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    Couldn't quite heat up 55g of cold water in 24 hours with a 250w heater. Is it ok to use warm tap water from a house water heater? I would think that would help with the electricity bill too.
    I've just addressed this problem. I was refilling with cold water which this time of the year comes out around 50, I had a 300W in a 55 G drum and it just wasn't able to heat it in time. To solve it, I used a plumbing kit for washing machines and hooked it up to hot and cold, On both the hose outlets, I put a quick connect for garden hoses with the male end on a python. I used a 3/8" splitter for the sink hook-ups and sink connection hoses to connect to the washing Machine kit. Then I mounted it to some holes I drilled into a shop sink. Now I fill about 75% with cold, move the quick connect to the hot side and finish filling.

I have no worries about copper getting in the water... I don't think it could for the following reasons. #1. Unless I'm totally wrong, hot water tanks are not copper, they are stainless steel. The price to have a copper hot water tank would be ridiculously expensive. Instead of a 250.00 hot water heater, it would be like $1,000.00 for the tank alone. #2, Most newer houses past 20-30 years are plumbed with PEX piping wich is plastic. That is the case with my house. #3, even if you do have copper pipes....so would your cold water so whats the difference? 50 degrees of hoter water? Melting temp of copper is 1,984F so 110F water vs 50 degree water wouldn't make a bit of difference. The main source of copper leaching into water is the PH and hardness of the water, not the tempreture. Acidic water soft water leaches copper more .... my tap water is far from acidic, it is around 8.0. If your water is below 7.0, your results may vary.

These are the valves I'm using, they have Red for hot and blue for cold.
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/AMERICAN-VA...lve/1000468819

Add-A-Tee Adapter 3/8"
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Keeney-Lead...-in/1000276665

Hose to connect tee to washing machine valve.
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Homewerks-W...ine/1000011672
    Last edited by RickMay1; 12-06-2018 at 06:44 PM.

Real Name
    Bill G.

Most warm water sources I've come to know are warmed in the heater after having first been through the softener. Just beware that softened water may have higher salts depending on the agent used to soften. Personally....I'd steer clear of warm water if it, like most, first goes through the softener. Perhaps an auxiliary water heater receiving water (cold Tap water) that did not get softened might be an option. I may be wrong, but until I hear proof that such water is safe for tropical fish, I'm avoiding it. Just my thoughts.......

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart View Post
    Sorry, just to be clear, what I mean is to dump warm tap water into the aging barrel and let it aerate for 24hrs before adding to tank. That should release the CO2 and bring my pH down to tank level. Just curious about using water from water heater.
    I do!

Registered Member

Yeah, my tap is 8.4, and no softener. Since I am only changing 75%, there was some warm water left in the barrel, so today's refill did not start at 50 degrees. We'll see if it makes it to temp tomorrow. If not, I will try adding some hot water like Rick. No fish yet, but I'll watch to see if it bothers them.

Most of the time you can tell if a WC bothers them right after the WC, correct? Darkening, showing bars, etc? What else might I see if this bothers them?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eric

I’ve filled my aging barrels with warm water for the growout challenge without any issues so far. Of course pipes can be different in different homes.

For adults and near-adults, I don’t use a heater. I let the water age at room temp and then just before the WC, I dump 10gal of very hot tap water in the 55gal barrel. It might slightly effect your pH but at least for my tanks I never noted a difference.

Real Name
    Willie

If you haven't already done so, consider

1. Wrap the drum with insulation,
    2. Put it up off the floor on some 2 X 2's, and
    3. Cover up the drum.

Made a world of difference to me, Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sean

I had the same problem on my 55 gal drums as well. I fill from my bathroom faucet. So what i started doing is turning both hot and cold on full at same time. This has worked for me without any issues. I keep my tank and my barrels at 86°.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    If you haven't already done so, consider

1. Wrap the drum with insulation,
    2. Put it up off the floor on some 2 X 2's, and
    3. Cover up the drum.

Made a world of difference to me, Willie
    Excellent ideas!! I recently started using my storage barrels so I haven't wrapped them yet, but when I do I'll use Reflectix, which is what I use to wrap all my tanks. I also use a 1/2 section of foam board to keep the barrels off the floor - left-overs from my siding project. I also use the foam board to insulate and level out the bottom of all my tanks...

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

I too use lukewarm water from the tap to fill thw ageing barrel. No water softner (KH 3), no copper in the gas boiler or plumbing (at least to the taps, the separate circuit to the radiators is copper). Been doing it for 15 months and the fish appear in good shape
    My discus are not fat...just big fish-boned

Real Name
    Mervin

I have a 75 gal barrel and use no heaters.It only takes about 2 buckets of hot water if that to bring the heat up ready to use.What small amount you would be using to heat your water will make very little to no difference to your fish.You can change on average about 25% of any tap water without harm in most cases.I've been heating my aged water like this for about 12 years with no effect on the fish.I don't believe the same water that is in the pipes is there long enough to corrode that much metal from the pipes to be measurable.I use city water with chlorine and I live in an apartment building.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast