AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1-2 questions before finishing tank setup...

Default 1-2 questions before finishing tank setup...

1. What is the best Canister filter brand? I have a 55 gallon bare bottom and im going to buy the next size up. Plz lemme know what is popular around simply discus.

2. How to do weekly water changes... So, i used to have a 30 gallon regular aquarium and i would do water changes by legit filling up gallon jugs from my bath tub and doing it until i changed enough water out. ( i have well water, decent PH)

Do you guys use some sort of equipment for your water changes? The tank is in my upstairs bedroom. Thanks

Real Name
    Patty

Default Re: 1-2 questions before finishing tank setup...

I’m not sure there’s a favorite brand of canister here. I’ll let others weigh in on that. I do have a couple Eheim pro 3’s on my 75 gal tank. The best thing I bought for that was a pre filter that fits on the intake tube (inside the tank). I learned about them here and that is a god send as it traps gunk and is easily removed during wc for easy cleaning. If you clean that a couple times a week, you don’t have to clean the canister as often. Canisters are a pain to clean and discus like their water shining. If only my house looked as good as my tanks. Ha ha
    I also love my python. It’s a suction hose that you attach to your faucet and makes wc’s much easier. If you don’t have a ph swing you can also use it to refill the tank. I always aged my water with discus though to avoid micro bubbles, but maybe others will have some pearls to share with you. hth
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

What size discus are you planning on buying? If you get adult fish, 4.5-5"+, you may possibly get away with a weekly water change, maybe. Adult fish only need feeding 1-2 times daily. If you buy juvenile fish 2-4", you need to feed them 4+ times daily, and therefore need to do larger and more regular water changes.
    The rule I learned here is that it is better for your fish to do more than enough wc's than just enough...

Real Name
    Mervin

Altho not a canister,the AC 110 is perfect for a 55 gal.The AC 70 is geared for a 55,but the AC 110 does a great job and very easy to clean,which I like.

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    What size discus are you planning on buying? If you get adult fish, 4.5-5"+, you may possibly get away with a weekly water change, maybe. Adult fish only need feeding 1-2 times daily. If you buy juvenile fish 2-4", you need to feed them 4+ times daily, and therefore need to do larger and more regular water changes.
    The rule I learned here is that it is better for your fish to do more than enough wc's than just enough...
    I really didnt think it all the way through yet. But i heard starting with 3" + is best for first time. maybe ill get 3 of them for now.

Any other equipment you think i will need besides canister / something for WC? i already have a new eheim heater for awhile now.

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    Altho not a canister,the AC 110 is perfect for a 55 gal.The AC 70 is geared for a 55,but the AC 110 does a great job and very easy to clean,which I like.
    Really? I always figured i would just have to buy a canister because they are better quality filters. But ive worked with these hanging ones my whole life pretty much lol

canister was gonna be a new thing to me. why are they so much cheaper

Real Name
    Patty

You may want to start with 5 or 6 discus. They need to be kept in groups to prevent stressing them out. I second going with the easier to clean filter as suggested by Mervin. Those canisters are a pain unless you like to tinker around a lot.
    Patty

Real Name
    Rick May

I don't like canister filters. they work fine until you forget about them and they kill your fish. I think you will find a lot of people on this forum prefer Aquaclears or just simple sponge filters. I use sumps loaded with sponge.

Quote Originally Posted by RickMay1 View Post
    I don't like canister filters. they work fine until you forget about them and they kill your fish. I think you will find a lot of people on this forum prefer Aquaclears or just simple sponge filters. I use sumps loaded with sponge.
    Damn this is awesome news because what was holding me back was the price of the filter lol..

Def gonna go with the hangin AQ then.

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    You may want to start with 5 or 6 discus. They need to be kept in groups to prevent stressing them out. I second going with the easier to clean filter as suggested by Mervin. Those canisters are a pain unless you like to tinker around a lot.
    Patty
    Okay. That sounds good. I just didnt want them to be overcrowded. My tank is 50 gal maybe 55 at most.

Do you think 3+ inches is good? the 4 inch are about 40% more $$

This thread is making me realize i have a lot more questions on discus and i need to redo my research i did like a year ago lol...

Real Name
    Frank

Sounds like these are your first discus. You want to purchase quality stock (look here for a solid listing) and the largest fish you can afford. The costs are more because you are paying for others to grow them out. I would recommend 4.5+ inch and 6 discus. Learn proper care and then, later you can decide if you want to grow out smaller size discus.

Real Name
    Patty

Good advice Frank. We’ve heard the horror stories (1 yesterday) of people who bought discus from Petco or somethingphishy etc. Even if they replace the fish, you just end up with more sick fish. I bought from my lfs and ended up having to start fresh with a new batch after finding a sponsor here.
    Patty

Real Name
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    Good advice Frank. We’ve heard the horror stories (1 yesterday) of people who bought discus from Petco or somethingphishy etc. Even if they replace the fish, you just end up with more sick fish. I bought from my lfs and ended up having to start fresh with a new batch after finding a sponsor here.
    Patty
    I saw that horror story. I monitor my lfs for their discus periodically and there is no comparison between quality stock and most lfs. I think a good first experience is critical for most in order to have a lifelong love of discus.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    BA

So first I want to say that I'm new to the discus world as well. I bought sick Quasimodo fish because I didn't do my research on the breeder. I did my research on how to take care of discus but still wasn't really prepared for the work load; you definitely want to take your time and do this right. I have 2 Fluval canister filters (one 306 for my 55gal and 406 for my 65 gal) that I personally haven't had any issues with. I also have 2 cheap aquaclear over the backs for my smaller tanks that also don't give me any problems. That being said, theoretically you only need a sponge filter for your discus as long as you are doing your proper water changes. I personally have a sponge and a canister as a back up with my Discus. I bought my babies at about 2", feed them 5+ small meals a day and do 30-50% water changes DAILY. This means some one has to be home during the normal work day or try your luck with automatic feeders (I cant get ever get them to work right), they are very time consuming. If you're not ready for that then you should buck up the few extra dollars for the larger ones.
    Originally I had a designated Discus 5 gal bucket I didn't use for any other tank to not transfer cooties, suck and dump then fill in the tub, dechlor and readd back. Whats nice about the bare bottom is if you get your flow just right the waste will gather in one spot. Sick of buckets I just went to the local hardware store and made my own "python" for $20. I attach a mini subpump to the hose, aim it out the back door to dump then reverse the action by putting the sump in your aged water and pump it back into the tank. You can easily age your own water in a large plastic trash can, make sure you add an air stone or a mini subpump and a heater. Again $10 at the hardware store and I Y off of the washing machine into my trash can, 24 hours to sit and dechlor with out spending money on the dechlor chemicals any more! You mentioned that your tank is upstairs so I would consider making space in a closet or bathroom for the aged water can.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast