ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1-2 questions before finishing tank setup...

Default Re: 1-2 questions before finishing tank setup...

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    The starter bacteria won't affect adding the seeded sponge. I believe Kenny has the ring shaped sponges. If you get 1 or 2 from him you may be able to cut it into strips or cubes and put it into your HOB and use it like that. As long as tank water flows thru the sponge I don't think it matters in what form or location it is in.
    Ah I see. So pretty much once the sponge from Kenny gets in there the tank is good to go? Since it痴 got the biological filtration already.

Real Name
    Patty

I considered the seeded sponge my good bacteria. I spent $28.00 and got the whole sponge filter. I had a pump, air stone and tubing, so I just hooked it up and plopped it into the tank. Some of your bacteria will be dead, so you still have to do huge wc for 5 days while the good bacteria catches up with the bioload (poop) from your discus. They can really poop!
    Have you cut up a sponge like that Daniel? I’m just wondering if he should cut it up in the bag it arrives in rather than out of water? Good way to spend the time while the bags acclimate to the tank temp, right?
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I知 happy

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by TheLankster View Post
    Ah I see. So pretty much once the sponge from Kenny gets in there the tank is good to go? Since it’s got the biological filtration already.
    Not entirely. It depends on the bioload of the tank it comes from and the bioload of your tank. It is a good start for sure, and it will propagate beneficial bacteria quicker than starting from scratch. As you relate to Kenny, he will still tell you what he told Patty; you will need to do large daily water changes to ensure the water quality stays good so that your discus grow and reach their full potential.

You could ask Kenny how many sponges you would need to adequately meet your bioload needs right off the bat. When I asked Al how many seeded sponges I would need for 8-10 adult (5"+) discus in a 125 gal, he told me 4-6...of course you need to factor in the cost of that with your purchase budget

Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    I considered the seeded sponge my good bacteria. I spent $28.00 and got the whole sponge filter. I had a pump, air stone and tubing, so I just hooked it up and plopped it into the tank. Some of your bacteria will be dead, so you still have to do huge wc for 5 days while the good bacteria catches up with the bioload (poop) from your discus. They can really poop!
    Have you cut up a sponge like that Daniel? I’m just wondering if he should cut it up in the bag it arrives in rather than out of water? Good way to spend the time while the bags acclimate to the tank temp, right?
    Patty
    I haven't Patty but I figure if it is cut into strips or cubes and placed where the water from the tank will flow through it it would work in the same way as with an air pump and stone. As long as it doesn't dry out, or come into contact with chlorinated water, the majority of the bacteria should survive shipping, particularly in there is O2 in the bag it is shipped in. I sure wouldn't hurt it to cut it whilst submerged still...

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Not entirely. It depends on the bioload of the tank it comes from and the bioload of your tank. It is a good start for sure, and it will propagate beneficial bacteria quicker than starting from scratch. As you relate to Kenny, he will still tell you what he told Patty; you will need to do large daily water changes to ensure the water quality stays good so that your discus grow and reach their full potential.

You could ask Kenny how many sponges you would need to adequately meet your bioload needs right off the bat. When I asked Al how many seeded sponges I would need for 8-10 adult (5"+) discus in a 125 gal, he told me 4-6...of course you need to factor in the cost of that with your purchase budget
    No problem with frequent water changes. Should I be doing WCs right now while my tank cycles? I haven稚 got my situation completely figured out for aging water just yet. Gonna need to pick up a trash can or something that fits in my closet .

Real Name
    Daniel

You don't really need to do WC's during a fishless cycle. Just check your ammonia levels periodically as that is the food for the 1st stage of your BB development. Keep your ammonia between 2-4ppm. Nitrobactors convert ammonia (harmful) to nitrite (also harmful), nitrosomas convert nitrite to nitrate (harmless). Keep topping up your ammonia to keep in the 2-4ppm range and you eventually end up seeing nitrites 1st, and then finally nitrates. It can take 4-6wks+ too see this happen, and the addition of a seeded filter from Kenny will speed it up some.
    Before you add your fish do a big wc, like 90%, add your fish and you should be good

Real Name
    Patty

I like Daniels idea about cutting sponge to fit in the HOB filter and doing a 90% wc just before they arrive.
    Patty

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Philip

I also am new to discus fish keeping (have had them about 6 months). During quarantine, I just had sponge filters and a HOB aquaclear. In their home tanks, I have a 75 gallon with a Fluval FX4 and I also have a 125 gallon with a Fluval FX4. I typically have no issues with them besides the learning curve of setting them up (once cut a hose too short and another time on the wrong end UGH!). But cleaning them is not very hard to do. I do it quarterly and it's easy as getting a 5 gallon bucket and filling it half way with tank water. I then disassemble the canister filter (many videos on YouTube) and remove the insides. I immediately throw all sponges and biomedia in the tank water bucket and the plastic pieces I rinse with hot running water. After cleaning sponges and shaking biomedia, I simply reassemble the canister filter and reattach the hoses, line up the valves and plug it in. I don't find the flow is too overbearing for the discus and I like it because I can point the nozzles to the surface to create more movement for better oxygen exchange at the surface. Not sure if Fluval canister filters are the best, but that's what has worked for me and why I purchased a second one for the 125 gallon.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Martha Moore

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    Sounds like these are your first discus. You want to purchase quality stock (look here for a solid listing) and the largest fish you can afford. The costs are more because you are paying for others to grow them out. I would recommend 4.5+ inch and 6 discus. Learn proper care and then, later you can decide if you want to grow out smaller size discus.
    Additional question to your recommendation of 4.5+ inch and 6 discus, do they all need to be the same type of discus? I'm new and still researching the discus world before making a full commitment. I notice pictures of tanks with different types of discus together and I would like to aim for that.

Real Name
    Mervin

Quote Originally Posted by TheLankster View Post
    Not positive on the dimensions but when i originally bought the tank i made sure it was at least 50 gals. It is tall and wide--somebody told me Discus like to swim up and down. I can double check and make sure i was right, but too late to change the tank now--i have already put the starter bacteria in. At minimum its 45 gal.

My plan was to buy 5 discus for this tank. Start by growing out 3-4 inchers from Kenny/Hans whoever has the strains atm. WC shoudnt be too big of an issue just want to get the cycle right. Eventually i do plan on moving them to a nicer planted tank which ill buy a new tank for.

I plan on calling Kenny tomrrow, i will talk to him about the sponge. Just wondering the sponge will fit in the AQ 110. Or if it is about ringing the sponge into the aquarium, lol. I am young in this game.
    If your not positive of the dimensions,here is the math.LxWxH/231=gal.Example 20x18x12=4320/231=18.70 gal.

Real Name
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Martha@BRLA View Post
    Additional question to your recommendation of 4.5+ inch and 6 discus, do they all need to be the same type of discus? I'm new and still researching the discus world before making a full commitment. I notice pictures of tanks with different types of discus together and I would like to aim for that.
    I ordered mine from Kenny. I asked him about the best mix. Love his suggestions and picks.

If you are looking at babies eventually then one will not want to mix certain categories, like pigeons with non-pigeons. I am no where expert on this side of the discus coin. You can always ask your breeder or post here for comment.

Real Name
    Patty

Quote Originally Posted by Martha@BRLA View Post
    Hi Martha, and welcome to the forum. Mixing different types of discus are fine. The important thing is to buy from the same vendor/source so they have been raised in the same conditions and are immune to same cooties. It is not a good idea to mix fish from different sources whether discus or tankmates. It can be done successfully if proper quarantine procedures are used.
    Also I知 assuming your talking about mixing different types of domestic discus. I知 not an expert on wild discus. Hth
    Patty
    While I知 certainly not trying to influence your decision, I will say that no other fish has truly giving me the long term joy as these guys.
    Last edited by Pices; 02-21-2019 at 12:14 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123