AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please help with strain ID

Registered Member PorcelainChina59's Avatar
    Real Name
    Patricia A Ireland-Martin

Default Re: Please help with strain ID

Quote Originally Posted by PorcelainChina59 View Post
    Could I get a guess as to what all 4 of these discus are??? The first discus is the first post in this thread.

Real Name

It's ok...I will find out else where. Thanks

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

It's a guess, but the 1st image in the series of 3 looks like it could be a turquoise of some sort, and the last 2 images look like a fire red type and a pigeon blood of some sort. All are still very young and not fully colored so it is difficult to tell at this size. Also, since the supplier has been found to be of poor reputation, they could just be cross bred of no particular strain.
    Sorry I can't be more helpful

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    It's a guess, but the 1st image in the series of 3 looks like it could be a turquoise of some sort, and the last 2 images look like a fire red type and a pigeon blood of some sort. All are still very young and not fully colored so it is difficult to tell at this size. Also, since the supplier has been found to be of poor reputation, they could just be cross bred of no particular strain.
    Sorry I can't be more helpful
    Thank you for giving me a direction to look towards as they grow. I don't mind doing research as to what they are but I just needed a jumping off place. Thank you so much again.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by PorcelainChina59 View Post
    Thank you for giving me a direction to look towards as they grow. I don't mind doing research as to what they are but I just needed a jumping off place. Thank you so much again.
    My pleasure mate.

Disclaimer; I have kept and bred many tropical fish over the past 35 years, but am new to discus. So these next comments are simply my thoughts & opinion on what I have observed;

One of the challenges with discus is they are one of the few globally accepted fish that are hybridized to develop the color and pattern strains we see today. The crossing of the existing "pure strains" happens regularly, and from those crosses all manner of colors, including genetic throw backs (color & patterns from previous fish in the line breeding process) are the result. For example, Al's pair of fine line snake skins produce SS and Turq fry, as Turq's are in the line breeding history. I have a lovely pair of Asian discus, a royal yellow male and red melon female. They have great color, are nice and round, and are generally nice quality. They are breeding and with the right care, their young will also develop into lovely discus. But what will they be called? The jury is still out on that...

It can be very difficult sometimes to really what know what we have, especially if we have bought from an LFS, a hobby breeder, or an online supplier that does not specialize in discus.
    People that specialize in discus, such as our sponsors, usually only sell pure strains of discus, and it is therefore easy to know what we are getting.

I hope you enjoy the journey!
    Last edited by danotaylor; 12-11-2018 at 10:27 PM.

Real Name
    Brian

I guess we did get a little off topic there, I agree with Danny on the ID's!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Oh man Patti, talk about going thru the wringer. I have never heard anything good about SomethingsPhishy. At least your four little guys are good hands now. As for strains; perhaps two turk types and two PBs. They will reveal themselves as they grow.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Oh man Patti, talk about going thru the wringer. I have never heard anything good about SomethingsPhishy. At least your four little guys are good hands now. As for strains; perhaps two turk types and two PBs. They will reveal themselves as they grow.
    Pat
    thanks Pat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12