ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When do they get it right?

Default When do they get it right?

My pair has been laying eggs 4 times now. Each time eggs hatch, but never have seen them attach to parents to feed. Then within 2 days all the fry are eaten. Will they ever get it right? They’re in a 55 gallon by themselves. I can put them in a 20 gallon, or use a tank divider in the 55 gallon. What do you think?

Registered Member

Default Re: When do they get it right?

Hang in there...I've had pairs take more than a dozen tries to get each step of the process right...fertilizing the eggs, guarding the eggs and not eating them and then letting the wigglers attach.

Thanks. Do you think putting them in a 20 gallon or using a tank divider in the 55 would help?

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

I just got wigglers from a pair (trio) that have spawned at least 10 times since I got them. My other pair is in the same tank with a divider in place to separate them from the other fish. They killed a 5" red panda the 1st time they had wigglers, argh. They get to wigglers everytime now but then eat them. The last spawn they had wigglers into the 3rd day after hatching then ate them. They spawned yesterday and for the 1st were ferociously guarding the eggs during my wc today. Hopeful, but they are heart breakers for sure.
    If your pair is alone (unpressured by other fish) I don't see how moving them to a 20gal or putting the divider in would help. But my disclaimer is I do not know for sure as I am new to this also.
    Al suggested to Liz covering the tank completely on all sides. He had to do that with 1 of his pairs so they would get it done right. I guess leaving the top uncovered so they had some light...
    It is a frustrating wait though. I feel you...

Registered Member

In my opinion, putting them in a 20 (this is the size I use) or dividing the 55 is the way to go. If left alone in the 55, the free swimmers could get lost...I've seen that happen too.

They just laid eggs tonight. I’ll see what happens with the fry when they hatch.

Registered Member

I am getting back into this after 20 years. I may have been lucky but I had a pair in a 100g tank and did water change once or twice a week. Just 2 bare bottom. I lived in Japan and it was a different type of filter they used. It covered the whole top of the tank straight across and used ceramic circles. Long story short over 100 fry. They almost killed the parents cause I didn't tank them out... I ended up with about 60 I gave away.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.BigBlock View Post
    In my opinion, putting them in a 20 (this is the size I use) or dividing the 55 is the way to go. If left alone in the 55, the free swimmers could get lost...I've seen that happen too.
    The fry will find the parent. There are couple of guys at the Honolulu Aquarium Society that were breeding in 75 and 100 gallon tanks.

Cliff

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Mine have spent over a year laying and eating their spawn. I came to the conclusion that this pair isn't cut out for parenting.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    The fry will find the parent. There are couple of guys at the Honolulu Aquarium Society that were breeding in 75 and 100 gallon tanks.

Cliff
    Hi Cliff,

Not saying it can't be done, just that I've seen it happen both ways.

Joie

I put a tank divider made of Poret foam in my 55 gallon. Pair has bred about 8 times so far. Each time a day or 2 after fry become free swimming they’re eaten. Don’t know who’s doing it. They just can’t seem to get it right yet. At this time I have about 10 just started free swimming fry in tank with parents. They’re not attaching to parents.

Registered Member

Mr.Limpet,
    What's the status on the fry?

Cliff

All gone. Eaten. Tomorrow I’m putting them in their own 20 gallon. Don’t know if it going to make any difference, but it’s worth a try.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by mr limpet View Post
    All gone. Eaten. Tomorrow I’m putting them in their own 20 gallon. Don’t know if it going to make any difference, but it’s worth a try.
    i found that a small batch does not seem to trigger their parenting behavior , it takes a long time for them to raise a spawn and i think their instinct tells them it is not worth it .
    smallest spawn i ever raised was 11 fry , by the time it was all over i had 5 juveniles , then I had to care for them , and it is a lot of work for only 5 juvies .
    also i don't know your situation but i used to have filter sponge that was too coarse and some of the fry got constricted in the sponge almost like a gill net , if you get my drift .
    i used to think the parents ate them , and it turned out , not to be the case , since i put in finer sponges i have better survival rates .
    just my 2 cents .

Registered Member

My Neon Sapphire pair is raising just two babies. They were the only ones that attached to the parents. First time parents so I will let them raise the two babies. The parents spawned with them on their backs but ate the eggs instead of the two babies. I figure they would eat the two babies and care for the next spawn. So you never know what they are going to do.

Good luck with your pair.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast