ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Temperature after treatment

Registered Member

Default Temperature after treatment

My large red disus really didn't eat much if anything after purchase November 3. I rasied the temp to 90 degrees and he eats well now for 3 days. Now they seem to me getting ready again for fry.. picking cone... What is the safest temp drop at once I can do. I had the at 83 before.

Real Name
    Frank

Default Re: Temperature after treatment

Quote Originally Posted by Lewjo11 View Post
    My large red disus really didn't eat much if anything after purchase November 3. I rasied the temp to 90 degrees and he eats well now for 3 days. Now they seem to me getting ready again for fry.. picking cone... What is the safest temp drop at once I can do. I had the at 83 before.
    I keep mine at 30C.

Registered Member

I was wondering if it's now 90 is it okay to set my temp to 83 today and let it drop natural. Then keep it at 82 They are picking at cone. They always lay eggs every 4 to 5 days. I want to have them lay eggs at 82. Thanks.

Real Name
    Filip

I keep dropping 2 deg. Celsius a day , after a heat treatment at 35 C .
    They propably may handle a bigger daily drop I guess , but why hurry testing their endurance .

Real Name
    Bill G.

I'd suggest you, if you must, lower the temp a degree once every few days. Slow is always better imo. If eating is better, I'd keep the temps up for a while so as to have the fish totally regain themselves health/energy wise. Producing eggs takes energy and not having eaten well for a spell (a month and a half) is not the ideal time to have them get focused on breeding etc. For what it's worth, I keep mine at a steady 87 degrees. If I have eating issues, then I focus on that and put desires for breeding on hold. It's been a while, but when I had eating issues, the temp went to 90 and stayed there past when they started eating well for a week or longer. Then I very slowly lowered the temp back to 87. Whenever I ventured into lower temp conditions, my fish started not doing as well, thus my constant of 87 degrees. Others may disagree with me, but I thought I'd share what has worked for me.

Registered Member

Thank for the advice. I was away. I ended up dropping it to 83 in two days. They have been fine since. And both fish eat well now. Actually the one fish that had the issues eat more and is more agressive. Lol.