ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canadians and Fish Meds???????????????

Default Re: Canadians and Fish Meds???????????????

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Are any of these actually useful for aquarium fish?

• Tiamulin
    • Neomycin
    • Bacitracin
    • Tilmicosin
    • Apramycin
    • Penicillin G
    • Lincomycin
    • Erythromycin
    • Virginiamycin
    • Spectinomycin
    • Sulphonamides
    • Tylosin/Tylvalosin
    • Streptomycin/Dihydrostreptomycin
    • Tetracycline/Chlortetracycline/Oxytetracycline
    neomycin, erythromycin and tetracyclines

But by the link that Ralph posted they break the medications into 4 groups depending on their usefulness to humans.. All groups appear to be prohibited.

1. Category I: Very High Importance
    These antimicrobials are considered of very high importance in human medicine as they meet the criteria of being essential for the treatment of serious bacterial infections and limited or no availability of alternative antimicrobials for effective treatment in case of emergence of resistance to these agents. Examples include:

1.1 Carbapenems
    1.2 Cephalosporins – the third and fourth generations
    1.3 Fluoroquinolones
    1.4 Glycopeptides
    1.5 Glycylcyclines
    1.6 Ketolides
    1.7 Lipopeptides
    1.8 Monobactams
    1.9 Nitroimidazoles (metronidazole)
    1.10 Oxazolidinones
    1.11 Penicillin-β-lactamase inhibitor combinations
    1.12 Polymyxins (colistin)
    1.13 Therapeutic agents for tuberculosis (e.g., ethambutol, isoniazid, pyrazinamide and rifampin)
    2. Category II: High Importance
    Antimicrobials in this category consist of those that can be used to treat a variety of infections including serious infections and for which alternatives are generally available. Bacteria resistant to drugs of this category are generally susceptible to Category I drugs which could be used as the alternatives. Examples include:

2.1 Aminoglycosides (except topical agents)
    2.2 Cephalosporins – the first and second generations (including cephamycins)
    2.3 Fusidic acid
    2.4 Lincosamides
    2.5 Macrolides
    2.6 Penicillins
    2.7 Quinolones (except fluoroquinolones)
    2.8 Streptogramins
    2.9 Trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole
    3. Category III: Medium Importance
    Antimicrobials in this category are used for treatment of bacterial infections for which alternatives are generally available. Infections caused by bacteria resistant to these drugs can, in general, be treated by Category II or I antimicrobials. Examples include:

3.1 Aminocyclitols
    3.2 Aminoglycosides (topical agents)
    3.3 Bacitracins
    3.4 Fosfomycin
    3.5 Nitrofurans
    3.6 Phenicols
    3.7 Sulphonamides
    3.8 Tetracyclines
    3.9 Trimethoprim
    4. Category IV: Low Importance
    Antimicrobials in this category are currently not used in human medicine. Examples include:

4.1 Flavophospholipols
    4.2 Ionophores
    This means even furan 2 requires a script. Thats just ridiculous as its rarely if ever used in humans.

What would have been a sensible thing would be to have scripts for class one and maybe class 2 and leave class 3/4 as it is...

As someone looking from the outside in I find it very troubling. Theres a similar trend in Europe and elsewhere. Those of us in the USA should see the writing on the wall. There is a definite and real threat from antibiotic resistant bacteria but this doesn't solve that it. It just takes away the choice from hobbyists and lines special interest groups pockets. If there was a network of aquatic pathogists and labs that hobbyist could work with I would say its a good idea... but there isnt. Which means antibiotics will be prescribed and used the same... it will just cost us more in terms of treatment
    Many will probably just euthanize their fish as it will be cheaper or they will horde and use class 1 and 2 antibiotics. Its a very poorly thought out plan in my eyes.

The greatest source of frustration for me when I see things like this is it puts the blame in the wrong place. Antibiotic resistence falls squarely on the shoulders of big businesses like agriculture, livestock,aquaculture and our medical system. Thats where the abuse is wholesale and rampant and where bacterias are the most likely to be exposed to various medications and then circulated abroad. The average hobbyist that treats his fish with furan 2, tetracycline or metronidazole etc... isn't a huge contributor to the problem... and yet they will be the most effected by these kinds of laws. Big Business will just have their own house vet or contracted vet write the script.. nothing changes there.

If I sound a bit cynnical here.. I am. We should all be. Laws like these are enacted to make it seem like a problem is being addressed...but its really not.

Qualifer, these are my opinions and thoughts I have no proof that big business contributes more to the problem.

https://foodprint.org/issues/antibio...r-food-system/

Antibiotics in Our Food System
    The rise of dangerous antibiotic-resistant bacteria have become a critical public health problem, fueled in part by their use in industrial animal agriculture.

SHARE:
    Since the 1940s, antibiotics have played a critical role in protecting public health, and have saved millions of lives. However, the non-therapeutic use of antibiotics by the modern food animal industry is now responsible for the emergence of drug-resistant bacteria that pose a grave threat to public health.

A push in the communities of public health, science and consumer advocacy is happening to end the inappropriate use in livestock production of drugs that are medically important for people. 1 Yet so far, most reforms have been the result of voluntary changes by the industry.

Antibiotics and Antibiotic-Resistance
    Bacteria are everywhere and are vital to the proper functioning of our bodies. In fact, humans have roughly an equal number of bacteria to human cells. 2 However, while most bacteria are beneficial to and synergistic with human health, some cause serious illnesses and death.

Since their discovery in the early twentieth century, antibiotics, or antimicrobials, have been used to cure a wide range of bacteria-caused diseases including pneumonia, meningitis, syphilis, food poisoning, ear and skin infections and many others. Drugs, such as penicillin, tetracycline, amoxicillin and others, kill or inhibit the growth of bacteria without causing significant harm to people.

Misuse of antibiotics, however, leads to evolution of antibiotic-resistant bacteria, which render these powerful, life-saving drugs ineffectual and therefore obsolete. When bacteria are continually exposed to low doses of an antibiotic, those resistant to the drug survive and reproduce while the rest die off, resulting in a new bacteria population that resists the antibiotic. 3

Prescription of antibiotics to treat conditions caused by viruses like the cold or flu (which cannot be treated this way) and patients’ failure to complete their antibiotic regimen are two common examples of antibiotic misuse 4, which enable the appearance of new, resistant strains. 5 In hospitals, poor infection controls, lax hygiene and sanitary practices and the lack of rapid laboratory tests can all contribute to the spread of antimicrobial resistance. 6

Antibiotics and the Animal Industry
    Nowhere are antibiotics used more widely and subject to less oversight than in the livestock industry. According to the FDA, more than 20 million pounds of medically important antibiotic drugs were sold for use in food producing farm animals in 2014 — that’s up to 80 percent of all antibiotics sold. 7 The notion of administering antibiotics to people on a daily basis would never be considered, let alone condoned.

Antibiotics have been used in livestock feed since the 1940s, when studies 8 showed that the drugs caused animals to grow faster and put on weight more efficiently, increasing meat producers’ profits. Up until the recent past, when the FDA banned the practice, non-therapeutic antibiotics — those used for purposes other than treating disease — were routinely given to livestock, poultry and fish on industrial farms to promote faster growth. 9 The medication has the added benefit to producers of preventing disease that would otherwise be caused by the crowded, unsanitary conditions in which the animals are raised; the FDA’s ban of antibiotic use in animals for growth promotion means very little when antibiotics are still allowed for disease prevention, a practice common in confined animal feeding operations (CAFOs), or factory farms. According to the FDA, from 2009 through 2014, domestic sales and distribution of antibiotics approved for use in food producing animals increased by 22 percent. 10 Further, 97 percent of these drugs were purchased over the counter, without any veterinary involvement or oversight, and administered to animals primarily through feed or water, which makes precise dosing impossible. 11 While the 2013 FDA rule (that went into effect in 2017) includes provisions for veterinary oversight of antibiotic administration, many – including several US Senators – worry the FDA “may lack the authority to ensure veterinarians adhere to the criteria
    Then again maybe theres plenty of proof out there
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 12-09-2018 at 10:00 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    harry g

I agree with you Al. A lot of people that pass laws have no idea about what there doing but it gets attention & they need that Attention, RIGHT OR WRONG.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

The employee at big Al's told me they are doing this because of environmental reasons 😏

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Prazipro is still available on Amazon though.....

Registered Member

Wow! Very interesting read. Sad for sure

Registered Member

The improper disposal of medications has resulted in our native waters being contaminated with steroids, hormones, and antibiotics. There have been several articles in the newspaper that have disclosed this and exactly what they have found. That's why drug stores have disposal services now. That is no guarantee that people are not flushing or throwing out meds. Lazy and irresponsible are rarely cured by such measures.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12