ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: A bit of NBA trivia - for some American NBA afficionados and Canadian Raptors fans.

Default A bit of NBA trivia - for some American NBA afficionados and Canadian Raptors fans.

It was a few weeks before the start of the NBA 2018/19 season, but some time after Toronto Raptors traded to acquire Kawai Leonard, that Richard Deitsch, a co-host of Prime Time Sports (the most listened to & watched sports news talk show in Canada), predicted that the Raptors would win 20 of their first 25 games this year - and his prediction came true - how about that ? who would have thought ?

How may games will the Raptors win this year ? 65 ? 70 ?, out of 82. Will a record be set ?
    Kind of interesting. NBA franchise cities' fans in the U.S. are just beginning to pay attention to how good the Raptors have become with the acquisition of superstar Leonard.
    Golden State Warriors - take heed.
    Last edited by discuspaul; 12-07-2018 at 07:21 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Philip

Default Re: A bit of NBA trivia - for some American NBA afficionados and Canadian Raptors fan

I enjoy playing the basketball video game, NBA 2k19. In season long simulations, the Raptors are typically dominating the East along with the Celtics and 76ers. Only time will tell if the Raptors will be better than the Celtics and 76ers for the entirety of the season, but if they are to stay healthy, I could easily see them taking the top spot in the East. I still think the Western Conference is better overall, but the DeRozan-Leonard trade has definitely been a good one for the Raptors so far and they still have plenty of regular season to gel and get better.

I think they could win 60 games, but 65+ would be really lucky.

Default Re: A bit of NBA trivia - for some American NBA afficionados and Canadian Raptors fan

You're probably right Philip.
    But even if they were to win 65 games in the regular season - it's the playoffs that count, right - and that hasn't favored the Raptors in recent years, has it ?

It's a long haul to win the Eastern conference championship vs. the Bucks or the Celtics, but an even greater hurdle to beat the best team in the western conference.

The only saving grace there might be to face the Nuggets, the Thunder, or the Clippers - and not the Warriors this year, who don't appear to be good enough to repeat taking the west.

Registered Member

The Toronto raptors are playing well. They got the better deal obtaining kawhi Leonard and green. The got better as a defensive team with those two. They will win 60 plus games this year. I don't think they will break 70 wins. We will see how they do when they get into the playoffs. Much better this year than in the past because of Leonard and green.

Yes, Getting Leonard was probably the best trade the Raptors franchise will ever have made or will make in future, and getting Green along with him was a huge bonus !

Now, if they could just figure out a way to pry Kevin Durant away from the Warriors.
    Last edited by discuspaul; 12-08-2018 at 05:24 PM.

Registered Member

I think we are going to try to pry Leonard from you guys to join with Lebrun and the lakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Maddie View Post
    I think we are going to try to pry Leonard from you guys to join with Lebrun and the lakers.
    Yes, I suppose that could indeed happen, Maddie. Leonard is a native Californian, and is rumored to have a leaning for playing with the Clippers in future - although the Lakers are not potentially out of the picture either.

Registered Member

I do not know why he would pick he clippers over the lakers. But I heard those rumors as well.

I'm told it's because the clippers have recently developed into being a pretty good team, and are said to have strong potential to become a contender - at least that's what 'they' say.