ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noisy Air Pump

Default Noisy Air Pump

I have an AP60 air pump that works great. I've had it probably a few years but recently it's become very noisy. I replaced the diaphrams and other bits in the kit but it sounds exactly the same. It's below the living room near the basement ceiling and I hear it much too clearly! Any ideas why it started becoming so noisy and what I can do about it? Thanks.
    Martha

Registered Member Keith Perkins's Avatar
    Real Name
    CozyKeith

Default Re: Noisy Air Pump

Well she does still exist! Hi Martha.

No idea why your pump has gotten noisy, but I have one thing you might try to quiet it down. I placed my central air pump on a small piece of construction type piece of insulation, usually blue or pink in color. It help in my situation.
    President - North American Discus Association

Hi Keith! I contacted the company but they were no help. I bought a new one. $160! Ouch! This one is noisier than the old one was when it was new but quieter than the old one was when it was old. I've always sat them on styrofoam. I tried layers of newspaper and that didn't help.

If you want a really silent air pump you should get one from Jehnco. An old Medo pump is also very quiet but it has to be set up just right, I have 4 of them. Only one is in use. I got them all dirt cheap on E-Bay.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Hi Martha
    I remember that pump and I was amazed at how quite it was. You didn't even know it was there.
    I'm not sure but do these have a check valve? The fact you changed everything else that might
    be the problem. Also, your plumbing system my be loose somewhere. Other wise the above suggestions
    sound good.
    BTW, the fish are doing real well. I lost 4 out of the 10 early on but the 6 are awesome, 6-1/2", with 1 approaching
    7". Only problem, can't get them to pair off.
    Jay

Sometimes the metal brackets holding the diaphragm get bent out of shape and hit stuff. Definitely worth a shot taking it apart and seeing what's inside.

Thanks all. I bought another AP60 because my old one was quiet originally... this one isn't much quieter than the old one is now. I wish I had seen your post earlier, Liz. I bought some pvc and I'll move the pump further back into the house so it isn't right under the living room.
    Nice to hear the fish are doing well, Jay. How old are they now? Is the check valve built in? I didn't put one on because the air pump is above the tanks.
    Adam, I bought six zebra plecos last March, average size at the time was two inches. I'm hoping for fry!
    Martha

Quote Originally Posted by mmorris View Post
    I bought six zebra plecos last March, average size at the time was two inches. I'm hoping for fry!
    Awesome! It might be another year or more before they're mature enough to spawn, but they're definitely worth it.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by mmorris View Post
    Thanks all. I bought another AP60 because my old one was quiet originally... this one isn't much quieter than the old one is now. I wish I had seen your post earlier, Liz. I bought some pvc and I'll move the pump further back into the house so it isn't right under the living room.
    Nice to hear the fish are doing well, Jay. How old are they now? Is the check valve built in? I didn't put one on because the air pump is above the tanks.
    Adam, I bought six zebra plecos last March, average size at the time was two inches. I'm hoping for fry!
    Martha
    Hi Martha

Hard to believe but they will be 2 years old in March.
    I guess I'm due for another visit this coming March. Will pm you
    then re: fish availability .
    Merry Christmas and a happy, healty and prosperous New Year.
    Jay

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Dan

The piping coming from my pump goes around the ceiling, and I think some of the vibration was going into the woodwork, so I put some foam bits between the pipe and the wall so the pipe isn't touching the wall. It helped some, but not enough. Then I made a sorta sound-proof box for the pump.

Real Name
    Bill G.

Just a thought......your rubber legs on the old pump may have hardened w age. Try putting pieces of felt or thin foam underneath the legs and maybe things will quiet down some. This has worked for me.

Real Name
    Mark

You can also try an anti fatigue mat,probably pick one up at Home Depot or Lowe’s.

Real Name
    Ralph

I have 2 AP100 and a AP60 and never had a problem with any noise factor. The first time I had to service either with a new diaphragm kit I would watch the this vid as guidance.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4ScGLbLtxw

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

I tried sitting the pump on different materials: foam, styro, cardboard...no change. I'm pretty sure I installed the diaphragm correctly. It sounds the exact same afterwards and like I said, the new one isn't much better. I moved the pump to the back of the house and now I can't hear it. So, it wasn't vibration through the pipes.
    Another year, Adam?!!

Perhaps. They're mature at ~30 months of age and breed well into their teens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast