ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Aging Barrel ?

Registered Member

Default Aging Barrel ?

When using an aging Barrel , do you leave it full 24/7 or is it empty until your ready to do water change? So you would fill it up and run it 24 hours do water change and leave empty ?

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: Aging Barrel ?

Keep it full ,you never know when you may need water right away.Just don't add the dechlor and let it set in the barrel.

Real Name
    Bill G.

Default Re: Aging Barrel ?

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    Keep it full ,you never know when you may need water right away.Just don't add the dechlor and let it set in the barrel.
    I agree with bluelagoon........Keep it full, warmed up, and with an air stone on the bottom so as to keep movement of water going. Btw.....in addition to my heated and aerated 50g heavy duty garbage can for WCs, I also keep ten five gallon buckets of my RO water (with lids) off to the side just in case I'd need it. Better to have extra and not need it than to need it and not have it. Just so u know.....I mix RO water with my tap water (4 to 1 ratio) to get the perfect KH, GH, and PH for my particular location. Yours would surely be different. Every time I refill the big can w water, I test it after a day or two so that I know that what I put into the tank next time will be just right. Lastly, with the aged water storage can, I put a pump on the bottom with a 15foot hose so I can simply pump the aged/heated water directly into the tank never moving the aging can or carrying buckets to the tanks.
    IMG_1827.jpg
    IMG_1828.jpg

......... This following segment pertains not to the aging can, but to the second 50g can for aquarium removal water.......
    I also attached a small pond pump to the bottom of the WC can with a hose. This is a second garbage can than the aging water can mentioned above. This can has a wheel dolly attached so I simply roll the can to the sink with siphoned out dirty water and put the hose into the drain and turn on the pump. Don't buy those cans w built in wheels....they'll give out and/or start leaking. Get a super tough/Brute can and buy the four wheel attachable dolly for it. They're sold together at Menards and probably many other places as well.
    IMG_1826.jpg

Interestingly......if I had my way, I'd install tap, RO, and drainage into the fish room, but the wife (while letting me convert a bedroom into a fish room for which I'm thankful) simply said no to the plumbing. It's all abt compromise. I got my tanks and she has a normal room should we ever move. My fish and I can live w this as WCs aren't that bad w the aforementioned aging and discharge can system. Keeping fish happy is just part of the hobby........gotta also keep the wife happy. I can't complain and she's been pretty good with me and my numerous hobbies......I raise moths in the fish room, have a 400g basement pond for my Koi in the winter, and numerous other projects and things.
    Last edited by 14Discus; 12-08-2018 at 12:08 PM.