ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Deworming?

Registered Member

Default Deworming?

Is deworming something that has to be done? I have 20 fry , just over a month old and was wondering about this? If it is a must, when should it be done? I have no idea about this. Thanks

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Deworming?

I think I'd wait a bit before deworming fry that young unless you're having problems. After some recent problems I've had, I plan to deworm any new arrivals during QT with Levamisole as a standard practice...

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    I think I'd wait a bit before deworming fry that young unless you're having problems. After some recent problems I've had, I plan to deworm any new arrivals during QT with Levamisole as a standard practice...
    Thanks, no problems with the fry. I have frozen beef heart given to me with a " a dewormer" in it according to the fellow I purchased discus from two years ago. He said give the fish one feed of this and all is good, which I did at the time.Got out of discus hobby shortly after (commitment reasons more than anything).Picked up some juvies a few months later and got back at it.The reason I ask is I still have some of that BH in the freezer and wondering if the fry should have some. If they are too young, when do you think I should feed it? Should I give it to them in a few months?

Real Name
    Brian

How big are your fry now? I'm not the pro in this area, but I'd say maybe wait until they are 3-4". If they are small, this is a critical time in gaining growth and shape. I wouldn't want to accidentally affect them in a bad way for something that may not be necessary. If small fry have parasite issues, you would know it...

Registered Member

How big are your fry now? I'm not the pro in this area, but I'd say maybe wait until they are 3-4". If they are small, this is a critical time in gaining growth and shape. I wouldn't want to accidentally affect them in a bad way for something that may not be necessary. If small fry have parasite issues, you would know it...
    They are an inch or so give or take. Glad I got an answer to this.I will wait until they are 3-4 inches barring anything happening in that time frame. Thanks again.

Real Name
    Brian

1" fry should still attack bbs if you have it available. You should see good growth nearly daily at this time!

Registered Member

1" fry should still attack bbs if you have it available. You should see good growth nearly daily at this time!
    Yes it seems they grow daily. I give them frozen BH pretty much 100% right now. They attack it like crazy !! I quit producing bbs but give them a feed of frozen bbs (quick frozen) now and then.