ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you aerate your water?

Registered Member

Default Re: How do you aerate your water?

i have problem when make WC then i see so many microbubbles how too get rid this?

Both Daniel and Brian mentioned using a pump to let the water crash back into itself. It only takes 2-3 hours...

Quote Originally Posted by Tuterosso View Post
    i have problem when make WC then i see so many microbubbles how too get rid this?
    Are you aging it?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam S View Post
    Both Daniel and Brian mentioned using a pump to let the water crash back into itself. It only takes 2-3 hours...

Are you aging it?
    nope, no option for aging

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

nope, no option for aging
    Then you're stuck with micro bubbles and the threats they pose until they dissipate in your tank

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

I have read somewhere that making the tapwater go through some sort of container stuffed with filter floss before it goes in the fishtank minimizes microbubbles, probably not opening the tap full blast while doing so would also help.
    No direct experience though so no guarantees
    My discus are not fat...just big fish-boned

Registered Member

kH is always 3/50 for my water, tap, aged and aquarium.

I'll try the using the pump. It is just loud and my work from home office is right next to the barrel.

Registered Member

Huh. 3 hours of pump dumping water back into barrel had no effect. Water is still at 8.4.

This must have something to do with the fact that I have a pH drop. It seems like most people have a pH rise, and can achieve this in a couple hours. The fish do not seem to be bothered, so it might be close enough at 50% WC, but still...

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by DJW View Post
    45 hours is a long time, it seems like you should have enough aeration to age in 24 hours. If the pH gets down around 7.8 in 24 hours I would go ahead with WCs and not worry about the pH, since its higher than in the tank. Increasing the aeration or adding a circulation pump would speed it up, especially if the pump is arranged to make a spray.

When the pH goes down with ageing you aren't really "gassing off" you are "gassing in", bringing CO2 in from the atmosphere where it can react with the hydroxide the water company added, which temporarily raised the pH up to 8.2.
    I think Dan's post probably speaks to what is going on. I'm guessing CO2 off-gasses faster, like soda fizzes, than it in-gasses. Maybe it takes longer for the CO2 to neutralize the hydroxide than just off-gas.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
    I have read somewhere that making the tapwater go through some sort of container stuffed with filter floss before it goes in the fishtank minimizes microbubbles, probably not opening the tap full blast while doing so would also help.
    No direct experience though so no guarantees
    water goes to 5 https://allegro.pl/10-trzyczesciowy-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds 2 carbon 2 sediment and 1 ceramic

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12