Dennis Discus     Australian Blackworms

Thread: All Good things come to an end... Flickr changes coming and they are not good. ..

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    220 (100%)

Exclamation All Good things come to an end... Flickr changes coming and they are not good. ..

I made a change a few years ago to use Flickr to host my pics. Its been a great service and They had a really liberal free hosting plan ( 1 Terabyte free) that I would have likely not ever used completely. I guess they need to bring in the money as they are seriously dropping the plan down to barebones...

https://www.flickr.com/lookingahead

Free accounts will soon be limited to 1,000 photos or videos. Flickr isn’t Flickr without the contributions and participation of our free members, and we remain committed to a vibrant free offering.
    If you are a free member with more than 1,000 photos or videos, you will have ample time to upgrade to Pro (for 15% off your first year) or download your photos and videos.* Read more about this decision.

1000 photos is literally nothing. Basically they are going the way of photobucket. I just finished uploading my photos there as secondary storage! I have many times over the 1000 pics and have used them on multiple websites and threads.. Now I literally have zero choice but to pay their yearly fee of $50.

or else...

*Free members with more than 1,000 photos or videos uploaded to Flickr have until Tuesday, January 8, 2019, to upgrade to Pro or download content over the limit. After January 8, 2019, members over the limit will no longer be able to upload new photos to Flickr. After February 5, 2019, free accounts that contain over 1,000 photos or videos will have content actively deleted -- starting from oldest to newest date uploaded -- to meet the new limit.

I am not against the fee, but they should grandfather in everyone that already has the pics there and allow the pics to stay. Members posted them with the understanding they would be available. Then they could either pay to post more or not upload more Basically Flickr has its member community over a barrel now. If I don't pay up, kiss goodbye alot i have posted here.

I think its a mistake that Flickr has done this... It worked out very poorly for Photobucket when they did. It will chase away members. I'm tempted to walk away myself not because of the $50 's but because of the way its been handled. I've gone from thinking Flickr was great to Flickr is Garbage overnight. I'm guessing I won't be alone.

al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 12-10-2018 at 09:57 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>We really could use your support. Please DONATE HERE Thanks!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    220 (100%)

Default Re: All Good things come to an end... Flickr changes coming and they are not good. .

Apparently this is because Flickr was purchased this past year by Smugmug... a paid photo hosting service..

https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/1/1...iption-smugmug

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    iTrader
    9 (100%)
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: All Good things come to an end... Flickr changes coming and they are not good. .

I was about to post that Al but you beat me to the punch line. I fully agree about leaving content that was uploaded under previous conditions and flickr or smugbug leaving a bitter taste.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    220 (100%)

Of course theres the typical corporate spin as to why the change was made..... Sounds well and good but do they really think that the members won't see it a s new owners wanting to recoup what they paid for Flickr in a quick and short sighted fashion.

http://blog.flickr.net/en/2018/11/01...s-1000-photos/

Today, we’re announcing updates to our Free and Pro accounts that mark a new step forward for Flickr. To be candid, we’re driving toward the future of Flickr with one eye on the rearview mirror; we’re certain that Flickr’s brightest days lay ahead, but we remain acutely aware that past missteps have alienated some members of our community. We also recognize that many of the clues for how best to build the future of Flickr can be found in our own, rich history.

Many of today’s announcements are unequivocally positive things: a new, simplified login with any email you prefer; improvements to the Pro account; and additional partner perks. The changes to our Free accounts are significant, and I’d like to explain why these changes are necessary and why we’re confident they’re the right path forward for Flickr.

Beginning January 8, 2019, Free accounts will be limited to 1,000 photos and videos. If you need unlimited storage, you’ll need to upgrade to Flickr Pro.

In 2013, Yahoo lost sight of what makes Flickr truly special and responded to a changing landscape in online photo sharing by giving every Flickr user a staggering terabyte of free storage. This, and numerous related changes to the Flickr product during that time, had strongly negative consequences.

First, and most crucially, the free terabyte largely attracted members who were drawn by the free storage, not by engagement with other lovers of photography. This caused a significant tonal shift in our platform, away from the community interaction and exploration of shared interests that makes Flickr the best shared home for photographers in the world. We know those of you who value a vibrant community didn’t like this shift, and with this change we’re re-committing Flickr to focus on fostering this interaction.

Second, you can tell a lot about a product by how it makes money. Giving away vast amounts of storage creates data that can be sold to advertisers, with the inevitable result being that advertisers’ interests are prioritized over yours. Reducing the free storage offering ensures that we run Flickr on subscriptions, which guarantees that our focus is always on how to make your experience better. SmugMug, the photography company that recently acquired Flickr from Yahoo, has long had a saying that resonates deeply with the Flickr team and the way we believe we can best serve your needs: “You are not our product. You are our priority.” We want to build features and experiences that delight you, not our advertisers; ensuring that our members are also our customers makes this possible.

Third, making storage free had the unfortunate effect of signaling to an entire generation of Flickr members that storage—and even Flickr itself—isn’t worth paying for. Nothing could be further from the truth: there is no place like Flickr to share, to discover, to learn, and to interact around photography. And because storing tens of billions of Flickr members’ photos is staggeringly expensive, we need our most-active members to help us continue investing in Flickr’s stability, growth, and innovation.
    Can you say "bunk"?

How did we choose the 1,000 photo/video limit?

We started from the point of view that free members are essential to a vibrant, healthy Flickr, and we were determined to provide a free tier that allows anyone who is unable or unwilling to pay for a Pro account to meaningfully participate in, and contribute to, the Flickr community.

While most products today sell storage in megabytes or gigabytes, the photographers we spoke to all knew about how many photos they had shot in the past few days, but few knew how much storage those photos consume without doing tricky math. Counting photos is simpler and more intuitive. It’s also more closely aligned to Flickr’s past (before 2013, Free members were limited to 200 photos), and we liked the idea of returning to our roots but with free space for five times as many photos as before.

We also think that photographers should be able to upload full, uncompressed original images to Flickr without worrying about conserving space or worrying about a future where images continue to grow in size.

Lastly, we looked at our members and found a clear line between Free and Pro accounts: the overwhelming majority of Pros have more than 1,000 photos on Flickr, and more than 97% of Free members have fewer than 1,000. We believe we’ve landed on a fair and generous place to draw the line.

We know change can be overwhelming, no doubt. But we are committed to making sure Flickr’s focus stays on you, the photographer. We believe this is the right path forward to build a sustainable future for Flickr and our community so we can continue developing features and products that shape the world of photography for years to come.
    Flickr would not be what it is today without the free member base it has.. Those members built the name and Flickr did make money off their content in indirect ways.. The way the company is painting these free users is really just wrong.

First, and most crucially, the free terabyte largely attracted members who were drawn by the free storage, not by engagement with other lovers of photography. This caused a significant tonal shift in our platform
    Nothing like using your base as a scapegoat.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member
    iTrader

That sounds really crap,

I seen the notifications but I dont use the account for anything other than this forum so didn't really pay attention. How many more like me will loose all digital record of their photos !!

Anyway re this forum and posting photos, is there any other hosting sites that will make it easy to continue posting images directly to here.
    When the photos are ultimately deleted from flickr, does that mean that all those photos will disappear from the threads that we have created here. It will be sad for so many of the wonderful threads that are built on these photos.

Mick

Registered Member
    iTrader

Just noticed..........

Are you a trekkie Brew ??

Is the title of this a nod to the last episode of the next gen ??

Mick

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    220 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MickO'S View Post
    Just noticed..........

Are you a trekkie Brew ??

Is the title of this a nod to the last episode of the next gen ??

Mick
    Yes

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    220 (100%)

So just a reminder....Flckr's massacre of offsite linked content is soon to begin... Jan 8 they lock accounts over the free 1000 from more uploads, deletions then start shortly after.

Screenshot at 2019-01-06 07-26-59.jpg

That means that after this date any content hosted by them will not show on forums like SimplyDiscus unless the account holder has less than 1000 pics or they buy a pro-membership. I am not opposed to a paying for a service, but I feel that its wrong to delete images that were uploaded and are posted all over the web..Irreplaceable content will be lost. At the bare minimum they should lock the acounts and archive them, but still display images linked. That would be the responsible thing to do. Smug Mug is not doing this though. They have the attitude that its not their problem. They are wrong as it is. They offered free hosting and have an ethical obligation to as custodians of these images to try and keep them accessible. They may be free accounts but there was revenue taken in by the ads shown to these free members in exchange for the free accounts. To me this is a major concern. It would be like me saying " from now on I am charging you all X amount of dollars participate here and if you fail to pay that yearly fee I will remove all all your posts except a few of your most recent ones. " Can I do this as the owner of the forum, sure I can. Should I? NO! Not if I have any appreciation or respect for the members here.

With that in mind I have opted to not use Flickr any more. I have begun the painstaking process of downloading thousands of pictures from that site and am trying to go through threads here that are important to me and replace the images with ones uploaded to the forum server. Its a royal pain...but I do not like the way Flickr/smug mug has rolled out these changes and I refuse to support them even if its more convenient to pay the $50 per yr blackmail fee to keep my links active and accessible. Personal choice on my part. I am sure many will just suck it up and pay the money and some will think its still a good deal. For me, I prefer to try and spend my money in businesses that operate with at least a small modicum of ethics and social responsibility. Smug Mug and flickr lack that as their current plan stands. I really hope that they reconsider this, but its doubtful.

I also think that members that do cough up the $50 a year will be in for a surprise. The $50 is in exchange for no ads. Flickr will lose a ton of free members and corresponding ad revenue. They are also losing many Pros level members that are not happy their costs were doubled too or how unreliable the service has been. Flickr is gambling that the new cost of $50 a year will cover the lost revenue elsewhere, and when it doesn't they can always charge their captive members more. Its not a good time to trust Flickr/Smug Mug. The ship may very well be sinking.

You can read the Flickr commentary from the new CEO and ticked off members here...

https://www.flickr.com/help/forum/en...57702923034264

R.I.P. FLICKR
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 01-06-2019 at 08:54 AM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    11 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    I made a change a few years ago to use Flickr to host my pics. Its been a great service and They had a really liberal free hosting plan ( 1 Terabyte free) that I would have likely not ever used completely. I guess they need to bring in the money as they are seriously dropping the plan down to barebones...

https://www.flickr.com/lookingahead

1000 photos is literally nothing. Basically they are going the way of photobucket. I just finished uploading my photos there as secondary storage! I have many times over the 1000 pics and have used them on multiple websites and threads.. Now I literally have zero choice but to pay their yearly fee of $50.

or else...

I am not against the fee, but they should grandfather in everyone that already has the pics there and allow the pics to stay. Members posted them with the understanding they would be available. Then they could either pay to post more or not upload more Basically Flickr has its member community over a barrel now. If I don't pay up, kiss goodbye alot i have posted here.

I think its a mistake that Flickr has done this... It worked out very poorly for Photobucket when they did. It will chase away members. I'm tempted to walk away myself not because of the $50 's but because of the way its been handled. I've gone from thinking Flickr was great to Flickr is Garbage overnight. I'm guessing I won't be alone.

al
    i had been grandfathered in to their previous monthly subscription that was $24.99 i believe. I never realized that the free account had a terabyte of storage lol. Either way, i opted out of the new subscription when they charged me the full $50 (can't recall if it was that high). I chose to not renew since my grandfathered plan was over. 1k in pictures isn't much but it is better that they put a picture limit as opposed to a data size limit.

Either way, every single one of my old uploads will become broken links (I do a TON of posting across different boards). There are other options of course, Dropbox comes to mind, but Flickr was very easy to link BB Codes. Ah well, i can't get mad at them trying to get money, but they should have kept it at $24.99-$29.99 and i would have been fine.

Most of our signatures/avatars will probably be removed by this move.
    Last edited by rickztahone; 01-08-2019 at 05:33 PM.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    220 (100%)

Its Frustrating Ricardo. I have been going back thru my simply posts and removing the flickr ones and re-uploading to Simply's server. Im sure I will miss some.

Thats really what ticks me off.. across the web theres going be wholesale deletions of content that really belongs to all of us.

If anyone wants to see what its going to be like... look back to the forums early threads where we lost our pictures after a hack and moved server.Those threads lost so much value without the pictures.

sigh..

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    11 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Its Frustrating Ricardo. I have been going back thru my simply posts and removing the flickr ones and re-uploading to Simply's server. Im sure I will miss some.

Thats really what ticks me off.. across the web theres going be wholesale deletions of content that really belongs to all of us.

If anyone wants to see what its going to be like... look back to the forums early threads where we lost our pictures after a hack and moved server.Those threads lost so much value without the pictures.

sigh..

al
    I agree completely. Unfortunately i do not have the time to do the same especially considering that there are at least 6 forums where I would post. SD is definitely where the bulk of my pictures are but I simply cannot go back and re-upload which I believe is the majority of people. I haven't even gone to my photography forum where i'm sure this is being discussed fervently.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    220 (100%)

I know... My non-simply Forum postings will be trashed as I am only focusing on here and even here its like shoveling sand against the tides... First I need to find the threads and then download the pics and re-upload them Hopefully I have the whole month since they don't start deleting until Feb.

al.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com