ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Adding plants to discus tank

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Default Adding plants to discus tank

I've been growing out some plants in my fountain out front. Nothing major, just some nubais, water lettuce, etc. It's been out there for about 3 months now and they are ready to come in. Should I still do a bleach dip (1cup bleach, 19 cups water) on them? I did notice some tadpoles in the water and this made me hesitant to bringing the plants inside. I know Nubias are really strong and survive a bleach dip, would the water lettuce be safe using the same methods?

Default Re: Adding plants to discus tank

Mando, I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question but if it were me I'd just give them a good soaking and a swish around. If all you are concerned about are tadpoles, if you get a few you can just net them out.

BTW, I've been looking for water lettuce. If you have enough to spare I'd love to buy some from you.
    Mama Bear

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Default Re: Adding plants to discus tank

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Mando, I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question but if it were me I'd just give them a good soaking and a swish around. If all you are concerned about are tadpoles, if you get a few you can just net them out.

BTW, I've been looking for water lettuce. If you have enough to spare I'd love to buy some from you.
    I can definitely send you some at no charge. They reproduced like crazy outside in the fountain. I received them through USPS, I'm sure I can send it to you the same method. let me know.