ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: is this a good deal for a used 180 gallon?

Real Name
    Anthony

Default is this a good deal for a used 180 gallon?

Hi everyone,

I've been saving up to get a brand new tank for next year but saw this on craigslist here in San Diego and was wondering if you think this is worth grabbing?

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/...770071713.html

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: is this a good deal for a used 180 gallon?

The price is ok, not terrible, not a bargain. I would be concerned because the brace on the rear glass is not full length, therefore not full strength bracing. On a 24" tall tank the water pressure is greatest at the top in the middle of the length and there is no strength there. If you were able to do a cross brace at the 3' mark that would make it strong, or get the whole tank flush against the wall, the wall studs would effectively brace the rear glass.
    Return pump, lighting, heaters and plumbing is gonna set you back prolly another $300-400 to do it justice.
    Just my 2C worth...

Real Name
    Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    The price is ok, not terrible, not a bargain. I would be concerned because the brace on the rear glass is not full length, therefore not full strength bracing. On a 24" tall tank the water pressure is greatest at the top in the middle of the length and there is no strength there. If you were able to do a cross brace at the 3' mark that would make it strong, or get the whole tank flush against the wall, the wall studs would effectively brace the rear glass.
    Return pump, lighting, heaters and plumbing is gonna set you back prolly another $300-400 to do it justice.
    Just my 2C worth...
    appreciate your feedback!

Real Name
    Patty

You’d be getting a 180 gal tank, stand, canopy and 40 gal sump for $700 bucks? I’d think that’s a very good deal. It looks like a nice set up to me quality wise from the pics.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

I think it's a great deal. It comes with a furniture quality stand and canopy. I love the way it's braced but like Dan said the bracing isn't as strong as it would be if it were complete. That could be fixed by siliconing in a section of glass...Not a pretty fix but a fix none the less. He doesn't say if it's glass or acrylic. If it's glass you'd better have a football team to get the monster moved. Either way, if I were looking for a extra large tank and I had the money I would jump on it.
    Mama Bear

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

If you are concerned about the bracing research the "LeeMar euro braced" tanks and see if there are any reviews. I find price to be driven by the local market. Appears to be a very nice tank, stand and canopy.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

I would grab that tank in a heartbeat.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

I did a little research on the euro bracing. 1 company does a full circumference and adapts the shape & size of the overflow to suit getting plumbing in there. 1 other company has the partial brace on the rear glass that stops on the outer edge of the overflow, but all of their overflows are dead center, which I assume adds strength somehow or they wouldn't do it like that.
    I honestly don't know about it and was just voicing what I would be concerned about personally. Especially since the rear brace is drilled in numerous places which would cause a loss of overall strength. I wonder if it was factory or post factory drilled? It is however an easy fix, simply get a 4" wide x 24" long piece of 1/2"-3/4" glass cut and silicone it front to back into the middle of the 72" length of the tank . With a full hood the neat look of the euro brace is lost anyway so for peace of mind why not sure it up.
    Overall with the quality of the stand it is a good price, but like I said, it is not a complete package and will cost several hundred more to add return pump, lighting, heaters, air pump and plumbing. If you have that in the budget go for it. It would certainly be a lot less than buying it all brand new

Registered Member

thickness of glass and tempered you'd be surprised how strong it can be. If I was real worried a chunk of glass front to back like mentioned would be enough.

Real Name
    Willie

If you haven't done a 180 before, please consider how you're going to keep it clean and change water. Even though it won't need water changes as often, changing less than 50% of the water will not be sufficient. Over time, even with repeated 50% (or less) changes, water quality will steadily decline.

Good luck, Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Patty

Good point Willie. For me, I stuck with the 125 gal because I went up to my armpits wiping the glass. A 150 would’ve put me shoulder in even though I liked the look better. 90 gal wc’s would mean a lot of water to age if OP has a ph swing. Definitely something to consider.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

that is a good deal assuming its in good condition. i would have jumped on it when i was looking.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by true2uroots View Post
    Hi everyone,

I've been saving up to get a brand new tank for next year but saw this on craigslist here in San Diego and was wondering if you think this is worth grabbing?

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/...770071713.html
    That’s an incredible deal compared to what I paid for my red sea 75 gallon in which I now regret buying. Lol

Real Name
    Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by Mando View Post
    That’s an incredible deal compared to what I paid for my red sea 75 gallon in which I now regret buying. Lol
    I'm gonna try and stop by to see it in person to inspect it more closely. He told me it was a reef set up before