ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possibly Swim Bladder?

Real Name
    Frank

Default Re: Possibly Swim Bladder?

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes View Post
    I've seen a lot of different recommendations for dosing. I'm seeing 1tbsp/10gals recommended for stress relief, which is all I was really going for with the salt. Is that not accurate?
    Start with your desire and see if there is some help. If so, fine. If not, then you can continue to increase. I don’t use salt unless there is a need in the case of illness.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kesley

Just coming back to close out this thread. I euthanized the fish on 12/23 after a long slow decline. It progressed to the point that the fish was laying flat on it's side and was getting covered in rot and mold, so I put it out of its misery. None of my treatments made any impact. I do believe this was bacterial - just not something that the meds I had on hand were effective against. Maybe there are other antibiotics out there that could have worked better, but who knows.

It's frustrating - this fish was one of the biggest and healthiest of the bunch. There are others that I've had issues with, including a runt, that I would have expected to be the first to fall if there was something wrong in the tank, but they seem fine. I just don't get it. It's really unnerving to see a perfectly healthy fish go south all at once like that.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

That was a wise and benevolent choice mate, the right thing to do under the circumstances.
    I'm sorry that you lost your fish, that sux

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Johney

Take a day break with a water change and a little salt and bump up to 87 degrees. Then try metro seachem or the pure stuff (jhemco). It's a hail Mary ! Please update.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Johney

Sorry Kesley... sometimes being the alpha is a stresser to discus. Over eating and defending territory . Reminds me of tropheus fish ....I feel these discus eat too much protein , not enough greens with a fasting now and then .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12