ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Sick fish

Real Name
    Roland E. Wilson

Default Sick fish

I have this Cobalt I got about three yrs. ago. He was 2.5" at the time and now has grow to adult size well over 6". Housed in 125G with nine other discus. It's now been aprrox. two months without eating. Before removed from the 125 he would swim with the group, not hiding or dark color. This guy just won't eat any food that I feed, Al's FDBW and Captain Bob's flakes, or frozen brine shrimp. Also have white feces all the time. Removed from the main tank and have medicated this guy with praziquantel 100% and levanmisol 100% in 40G tank half filled for over two weeks now. Still not eating and white feces. Was thinking about culling this fish but he not acting like he's sick, just not eating anything. Have tank temp at 84F and do 50% WC every other day on this tank. Still not hiding or dark color, for now just going to let him hang out in the 40 until I notice he starts to eat and white feces stop. I thought by now he would be an goner or very thin looking by now, just the opposite, which has me baffled with this fish. I have no microscope or plan on getting one at this time. All I can do is give this guy an healthy home, not culling this fish, he's an survivor.

Real Name
    Frank

Default Re: Sick fish

Others are more experienced so check with them. I would go with Metro instead of Prazi.

Real Name
    Patty

Default Re: Sick fish

I would rest him a bit before I threw another med at him. Then I would get Metronidazole and treat 500 mg/10 gal for 12-14 days. Increase temp to 90 degrees + or - 1. Do huge wc daily and re dose full dose (I did 90% daily). You can get metronidazole at Jehmco. Good luck and keep us posted. White stringy poop usually means parasite. I just treated one of mine and he’s eating like a little piggy again. I’m just fattening him up a little before he goes back in the big tank.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy