ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Discus feels sandy

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Default Discus feels sandy

As I was doing a water change today, my blue ss juvie decided to brush up on me and he felt like a sand paper much like my adult discus. Fortunately, none of my discus have been sick in a really long time with the exception of the nitrate spike on growout tank.
    Every time I purchase a fish, either for the tanks or my pond, after aclimating them, I grab them with bare hands and put them in their new home. I always notice a nice slime coat.

With that being said, I noticed with all my discus that their skin is sand paper like dispite the fact that they went into the tank smooth and slimy.

On a side note, could this be the reason the pairs eat their spawn?

What can i check for in my water? I’ve never measured kh, gh, or tds. Could this be part of the issue?

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Default Re: Discus feels sandy

Any ideas or am I just overthinking it?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Are you rubbing the fish from from to back or back to front? If back to front perhaps you are feeling the edge of the scales? Another thought is are the scales raised off the skin of the fish?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Are you rubbing the fish from from to back or back to front? If back to front perhaps you are feeling the edge of the scales? Another thought is are the scales raised off the skin of the fish?
    Pat
    Front to back and no raised scales. I guess it's normal. I could have sworn they were somewhat slimy when I plopped them into the tank.