AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Feedback on Tank Before Adding Discus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dylan

Default Feedback on Tank Before Adding Discus

Hi there friends,

I have had this 55 gallon tank set up for over a month now, slowly improving it in preparation for adding discus. This is my first go at discus and so I’ve moved forward quite slowly and cautiously. Right now, I’m facing a couple of issues that I’d like to resolve before I add the fish.

First, my filtration is a Top Fin 75 HOB (came with my tank) and a Fluval 206 canister with custom media. I’m really quite concerned that my fish will be blown away with the amount of flow these two filters seem to have together.

Second, I took the advice of a local fish store owner and purchased plants that I later learned may not be fully compatible with the temp range required for discus. Since I don’t yet have my discus in, with the accompanying feeding schedule, I also believe that a number of these plants are suffering from nitrogen deficiency.

I have included a short video of my tank, I hope it is high quality enough to make out the details. I would love any advice form the more highly experienced members here.

Dylan

https://youtu.be/sQe7BIlMre4

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Feedback on Tank Before Adding Discus

You certainly have enough filtration in that tank. You have a gravel/planted tank already established with other fish. The main issue I haven't seen addressed is quarantine.

I always QT new arrivals for 4-6 weeks, using separate tanks, cleaning supplies and even a different part of the house. This way, if they get sick you can automatically eliminate cross-contamination as a cause. At the end of QT, I add a single fish to the main tank for 2-3 weeks. If it stays healthy, chances are you are good to go.

How many discus are you getting? How big are they?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dylan

Better to have too much than not enough

I will definitely look into getting a quarantine tank. I don’t have quite the setup that I’d like, my wife hasn’t yet caught the discus bug and has given me quite a tight budget.

By the way, I’m originally from Spring Hill! Nice to see a fellow Kansan on here.

Dylan

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Dionysius View Post
    By the way, I’m originally from Spring Hill! Nice to see a fellow Kansan on here.

Dylan
    Nice! I fish at Hillsdale quite often!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Dylan and welcome to the forum. You will not like what I am going to suggest but this is your first go with discus I would suggest going with a bare bottom tank with no tank mates or plants. This could be done in a separate tank.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dylan

Hi there Pat,

Thank you! Yes, I discovered the wisdom of a barebottom tank after I had already set up this one. For now because of limited space, this 55 gallon is my only option. I realized the delicate balance you need to have when planning a discus community tank. Plants need nutrients, yet discus need pristine water quality.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Plants need nutrients, yet discus need pristine water quality.
    The question is, which are you gonna focus on?

If you are able, buying 4.5-5"+ discus will increase the discus tolerance of less than pristine conditions in a planted tank as they are already beyond the rapid growth phase. They're more expensive because the hard work has been done, but IMO well worth the money. I spent $640 on 8 x 5" discus and love them.

In your situation though you still have the QT issue to overcome since your tank already has other community fish in it which potentially harbor pathogens that could make your discus sick. Mine all came from 1 reliable source and are in BB tank with some wood and a few rock only. I have had 0 issues since my purchase from Dennis's discus fish 3 months ago.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dylan

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    The question is, which are you gonna focus on?

If you are able, buying 4.5-5"+ discus will increase the discus tolerance of less than pristine conditions in a planted tank as they are already beyond the rapid growth phase. They're more expensive because the hard work has been done, but IMO well worth the money. I spent $640 on 8 x 5" discus and love them.

In your situation though you still have the QT issue to overcome since your tank already has other community fish in it which potentially harbor pathogens that could make your discus sick. Mine all came from 1 reliable source and are in BB tank with some wood and a few rock only. I have had 0 issues since my purchase from Dennis's discus fish 3 months ago.

Very true. It’s funny, discus are a totally different world. Sitting here almost regretting doing a planted tank and not just going back to saltwater Going to go back to the drawing board to see if I can add a QT tank etc.

Real Name
    Frank

You will want another tank for QT or hospital anyway. Then, if they pair up

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dylan

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    You will want another tank for QT or hospital anyway. Then, if they pair up
    Now I just need a good basis for my argument when I bring it up to my wife. I’ve already gone over budget

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dylan

“Calm down dear, at least it’s cheaper than a reef tank!”

Real Name
    Frank

Now I just need a good basis for my argument when I bring it up to my wife. I’ve already gone over budget
    She will probably not be won by a sick discus healing, or just another 4-6 week holding tank; however, discus babies can win them every time! lol!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dylan

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    She will probably not be won by a sick discus healing, or just another 4-6 week holding tank; however, discus babies can win them every time! lol!
    Haha! That’s the master plan