AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Adverse Effects of Turning C02 off?

Registered Member

Default Adverse Effects of Turning C02 off?

Can anybody indicate what the negative effects will be of turning C02 system off for a week over Christmas when I go away? My concern is that with nobody around to change the water the PH will drop to dangerous levels thereby killing the fish. Will turning the C02 off risk an algae bloom or damage to the plants? B

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Adverse Effects of Turning C02 off?

I'm not sure about the effect on the plants mate, but I do know it would cause your pH to climb. The rate that your pH changes would be my concern. I would shut it down the week b4 you go and monitor it's stability.
    I have place very healthy plants from a CO2 injected system into an African cichlids tank at pH 8.3. It took several weeks before they started to show signs of nutrient deficiency.
    The priority though is your discus health. You have to do what is best for them in your absence. The plants will bounce back, though I don't think a week or 2 will adversely affect them too much.
    Sorry I cannot be more specific mate. Have a gr8 holiday

Registered Member

Thanks Dano I was thinking that this is the only practical option. Without the C02 on my PH is stable around 6.5 so it's not a concern for me that it will climb it still drops gradually and will likely be around 6.2 by the time I'm back.

Real Name
    Filip

Some minor algae issues may appear due to Co2 inconsistency .
    Other than that , there is nothing to worry about .
    And I hope you already have solenoid on a timer to shut off the Co2 supply automatically every night .