ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: My fish is a balloon

Registered Member

Default My fish is a balloon

Hey Everyone. My friend highly recommended this forum to me. So heres my issue.
    My angelfish has been bloated since around mid-late November. Initially I thought it was bloating from constipation because the other one was too. But she was just full of eggs. So I fasted for 4 days, then followed a diet of veggie pellets mixed with daphnia. Another week passed and nothing. So then I went to my LFS and the suggested this was dropsy. So I ended up doing treatments of Kanaplex along with Epsom salt baths. The baths were 1tablespoon per gallon for 15 minutes. After all of this nothing has changed. My fish is still colorful and eating. He still swims around the tank, but often hes sitting in the corners more than usual.
    Hes in a 55 gallon planted with co2. Normally weekly 50% water changes. Lately ive been doing them every 3 days as a precaution.
    Parameters are as followed: pH - 6.8, Ammonia-0 Nitrite-0 Nitrates- <20.

Any thoughts on what to do? I attached two pics. The brighter one was taken 11/25. The other 12/18

FullSizeR2.jpg
    IMG_02251.jpg

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: My fush is a balloon

Has the swelling gotten any bigger? If this were an infection I'd think it would be getting larger or killed the fish by now. I really don't think it would be eating and acting anywhere near normal, but I'm used to discus and not angels. Have you noticed any abnormal (white stringy) feces?

I'm wondering if this could be a tumor or some internal growth, but I still think there would be an increase in size.

Real Name
    Mervin

First thing that comes to mind is what the person at the LPS told you.Kidney failure/disease.

Real Name
    Patty

I have a fat angel like that. I did Epsom salts and nothing changed. He eats, fights and poops and is otherwise healthy so I just let him be. He doesn’t sit around the corners unless my other pair lays eggs, then they are all in the corners. He’s been like this for 4 mos now. I’m not able to load a pic right now. I’ll try again later.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    First thing that comes to mind is what the person at the LPS told you.Kidney failure/disease.
    This also came to mind, and is in line with a recent experience I had. But, my discus stopped eating and died

Real Name
    Patty

If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Registered Member

Swelling looks like it got bigger over time. Its hard to tell
    Honestly I thoughthe would be dead by now. Should I try a more aggressive salt bath? I thought about possibly sedating him and aspirate him to see if ita just built up fluid. But I figured since hes acting normal to leave it alone. Plus it seems risky.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: My fish is a balloon

Brian (jeep) tried to post about this angelfish in a angelfish based group of Facebook and his post disappeared. I posted in his behalf tonight and this is what Brenda has to suggest

IMO it is very bloated , have him try one tablespoon of epsom salt per gallon of water. this will reduce the swelling , do a water change of 30 percent first then add this , also if i ever deal with bloat , have on occasion I do not feed for 3 days or so , some say feed peas , IMO if they arent feeling well they dont want that for sure and as you know will foul the water . I hope this fish gets better for your friend, its a Beauty . P S if he can treat in a smaller tank fine , if not , the Epsom will not harm the other fish what so ever !
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

use epson salt in granulated food for 7 days 2 times days

Registered Member

What do you mean? Soak the food in epsom? Or soak in epsom and feed granulated food?

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Quote Originally Posted by agrippo7 View Post
    What do you mean? Soak the food in epsom? Or soak in epsom and feed granulated food?
    No need to mix food with epsom. Just do what Pat/Brenda suggested. Stop feeding and add 1 tbs of epsom per gallon.

Registered Member

its 3%, must use 15g on 500ml ro water then use on granulat feed 2 times day for 5-7 days and clean

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tuterosso View Post
    its 3%, must use 15g on 500ml ro water then use on granulat feed 2 times day for 5-7 days and clean
    Ok. I'll give these ideaa a shot.

Thanks