ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Help me out

Registered Member

Default Help me out

Hello. Im growing discus for like a year now. Tryed dif setups, killed some batchs on the way.. managed to get a batch from 6 to @15cm.. but now I dont really know what I am doing wrong.

1st time I try this in a cube without any external filters. Just a sponge filter. I have a new batch for like 40 days... they are growing nice but last few days have been a pain. Started with very cloudy water... 6-12h after wc the water went all milky. Now the cloudy water has gone and some stuffs(bacteria I think) took over my aquarium.. they are everywere despite the dailly 100% wc and wiping out all aquarium walls every day. The fish doesnt seems to get annoyed by it and eats well though..
    My wc are done dailly with tap water(not aged) threated with prime. I feed them 5-10 times/day with frozen beef heart/frozen artemia and main food started food from discusfood.

What can I do to get rid of this?
    Ty
    Last edited by Swedgin; 01-06-2019 at 08:39 AM.

Real Name
    Patty

Default Re: Help me out

I’m not sure why this is happening when you are doing 100% daily wc. Bump.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

My guess is you are overfeeding. Appears to be leftover food in the water column. Maybe try feeding smaller amounts!
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Beefheart can get messy. You should check out the growout threads and pick up some of their habbits.

Registered Member

Well, I was feeding them 100% frozen beef heart(mixture) with frozen artemia 2-3 meals after night wc. I readed bryan grow up challenge, saw he feeded more granulades so I ordered good grabulates for theyr size and focused more on that - they really started to grow more all togheter than before. Whateva food I feed them they still leave like 10% away.. thinking of adding some cory/pleco but dunno.. need help! the aquarium was never cicled and from what Ive read in bryad grow out chall u dont really have to cicle it with so many wcs..

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Philip

I'd still suggest having the tank cycled even with the full 100% water changes, but I don't think that's the problem here with the cloudy water. I think Pat has it right in maybe we are just overfeeding. Are we siphoning leftover food quickly after meals or are we waiting until we perform the 100% water change? If we are waiting, I could see why tank is getting cloudier and cloudier throughout the day.

Real Name
    Filip

This looks like a bacterial bloom from a non established bio filtration to me.
    I think that you have way too much bioload in a small tank and very small sponge for filtration on top of that .
    I would add more bio filtration (sponges , HoB full of ceramic rings etc.)to keep things in the safe zone regardless of the daily 100% WCs .
    I would also be careful doing daily 100% WCs with unaged water because of PH swings and micro bubbles .How does your discus react after the waterchanges ?