AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: help 2nd Discus swimming at top of tank

Registered Member PorcelainChina59's Avatar
    Real Name
    Patricia A Ireland-Martin

Default Re: help 2nd Discus swimming at top of tank

Ok ...just for future reads by anyone...I did add another tbsp of just aquarium salt and the fish are fine--so jeep your were right, it won't hurt them.
    Secondly, I had a marine biologist friend come over to see my fish--she came over as a Christmas present to me, sweet kid--anyway, it's ICK. The dead fish had tiny white spots on it that you couldn't hardly see as does Lil guy. and a couple others. So Ick treatment here we come, she also said that if I don't know what it is and they are dying treat for all if your going to medicate. The salt was great and usually works. Also she said to keep temp at 86 with young ones and usually they won't get Ick...I was hanging at 83-84 which I guess isn't good...hot enough to breed some bacteria and parasites--not hot enough not to for sure. 86-88 for young ones always is what she says. She works at the Sealife center in Seward Alaska. Marine biologist abound here in Alaska. AND she is a discus keeper also. Double great for me.

Real Name
    Brian

What a nice connection to have... A marine biologist!

The level of salt is actually pretty mild but effective and won't hurt anything. Your friend is correct about the higher temp but I was reluctant to suggest this in case there was ammonia in the water. Ich usually has a hard time living in temps above 82 but it can. It seems you are one of the unfortunate ones. Just be sure to keep the temp up for a good long time so the ich doesn't become resistant. You can actually go up to 93 if you feel the need, but 86 should be ok...

Registered Member

Are those patches on the small Discus at the top of the tank or is it just the tank?

Cliff

Registered Member PorcelainChina59's Avatar
    Real Name
    Patricia A Ireland-Martin

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    Are those patches on the small Discus at the top of the tank or is it just the tank?

Cliff
    the one at the top.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12