ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Ghost Overflow DIY Sizing

Registered Member

Default Ghost Overflow DIY Sizing

I've never had a Sump before, and I'm planning to build a Ghost-type overflow setup with a Bean-Animal overflow. Right now I'm trying to choose the dimensions of the interior box. So...

A 75 gallon tank is 4' long so that sets the max possible length. "Coast-to-Coast" type skimmers are used in some tanks, but a 48" length seems to be overkill for a Discus tank. Also, Sellers are listing 16" - 24" Ghosts for sale so these lengths are at least adequate. OtOH, they are typically only about 2" thick, so I'm not concerned with the loss of volume whatever the chosen length.

Any suggestions as to "best" length are appreciated.

Tom

Registered Member

Default Re: Ghost Overflow DIY Sizing

For some reason there is no "Edit Button" with my post, so I'll add this question to the previous post:

After eating, Discus produce a lot of "poop" - do they also produce a lot of waste that ends up on the surface? How important is surface skimming to maintaining a clean tank?

Thanks for any thoughts,

Tom

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Tom I have a surface skim overflow box as a part of my sump filtration. I can tell you that the prefilter in stage 1 of the sump clogs up and repels water penetration about every week. I exclusively feed pure deer heart, no additives and it is relatively clean. When I rinse the sponge there is not a lot of heavy solid waste, but fine particles and a brown colored biofilm which is most likely due to feeding the deer heart.
    Having said that, a canister intake, or any intake from the lower water column would likely collect the same stuff, with some additional poop waste also.
    I like the surface skim because I can vacuum all the solid waste easily, even without doing a large water change, anytime I notice build up.
    Cheers mate

I have a bean animal setup using synergy overflow on my discus tank.
    The tank is ~100 gal. I placed the box on the side instead of the back (it's 2 tank mirror setup for a total of ~200gallon).
    Both tank have bean animal going to 1 sump with 1 return pump back to both tanks.
    I used the 16" box from synergy. I would say the size is quite nice as far as plumbing goes, in case you want to inspire yourself from their dimensions.

The return pump dictates the volume of water that goes through this setup more than anything (running an Abyzz Ac100 at 60%, split to 2 tanks setup in a mirror fashion. Total setup with sump is ~220g. I plumbed my with 1" pipes.

Surface skimming is extremely good, let me tell you. Quite overkill for discus to be honest.

One inconvenient of this setup is quite a bit of food gets engulfed by the overflow right down to the sump, if you let it run during feedings. Consequently, you need the first stage of your filter to be easy to clean/swap. I'm using filter floss that I throw away when dirty. I'm going to try filter socks see how that goes.

Lately, I have been stopping the pump for 15 min during feeding, and that has been helping a lot. Foods stay in the tank until entirely eaten.

I also rarely have to clean up poop at the bottom of the tank, I have MP40 that kicks in now and then to stir all the crap in the water column, which ends up inevitably in the overflow... nice and clean.
    Last edited by dandestroy; 12-27-2018 at 01:36 AM.
    FrancK
    2018 year of the big tank!!!.

Registered Member

Hello Daniel,

Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Tom I have a surface skim overflow box as a part of my sump filtration.
    Is this an internal skimmer box paired with an external box which contains the siphon pipes?

I'm looking for dimensions for a DIY Ghost with a Bean Animal. The current batch of manufactured internal skimmer boxes range from 16" - 21". How wide is yours, and what size would you recommend for my 75 gallon?

Tom

Registered Member

Hello, and thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by dandestroy View Post
    I have a bean animal setup using the [16"] synergy overflow on my discus tank. I would say the size is quite nice as far as plumbing goes, in case you want to inspire yourself from their dimensions.
    I've checked it out thoroughly, and that's a nice setup. The price has gone done from $200 to $150, so I'm tempted to forego the DIY.

The Skimmer box is designed to take up as little internal tank space as possible, so the thickness of a typical box averages about 2". Yet even those that have the bulkheads at the top of the box are about 5" - 6" tall. Obviously, there's a reason for this or they would make them less tall. Any idea why this 6" height is necessary?

Total setup with sump is ~220g. I plumbed my with 1" pipes.
    That seems to be the size everyone is using. I realize it isn't necessary for my 75 gallon tank, but is there a downside to using 1.5" to match the overflow bulkhead size?

Surface skimming is extremely good, let me tell you. Quite overkill for discus to be honest.
    Thanks. Then there's no reason for me to make it any longer than 16". This size would give me the option of locating the Skimmer at one side of the Tank, and a Spraybar on the opposite side. With the Spraybar aimed mostly downward, this would setup a good full tank circulation.

One inconvenient of this setup is quite a bit of food gets engulfed by the overflow right down to the sump, if you let it run during feedings. Consequently, you need the first stage of your filter to be easy to clean/swap. I'm using filter floss that I throw away when dirty. I'm going to try filter socks see how that goes.
    Good advice.

Lately, I have been stopping the pump for 15 min during feeding, and that has been helping a lot. Foods stay in the tank until entirely eaten.
    Good solution. I don't see a downside to this procedure...

Thanks for the advice,

Tom