ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Urgent - Home For Sale

Real Name
    Ralph

Default Urgent - Home For Sale

Well I'm hoping this is not in the spam category....but want to share our housing market has gone out of control. For a someone that can put out just under $3,000,000.00 you get this beauty...God help my kids when it's time to leave the nest and venture looking for a property of their own close to home.
    https://wrightsisters.com/Listing/15...-st-s/E4246674

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Default Re: Urgent - Home For Sale

You're kids just have to move to Mississippi. It's been 10 years now, but I had my house built (on my own land) for $82,000. Just a 2 bedroom 1 bath house, but it gives you an idea of what one can afford to do down this way.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Altum Nut View Post
    Well I'm hoping this is not in the spam category....but want to share our housing market has gone out of control. For a someone that can put out just under $3,000,000.00 you get this beauty...God help my kids when it's time to leave the nest and venture looking for a property of their own close to home.

...Ralph
    Your kidding right?
    I live in Ct. where prices are high but I don't even think
    an agent would ever try to sell that piece of crap for that price.
    Maybe for 25k US here.Good old Toronto,eh.
    Jay

Real Name
    Patty

Not even a double sink in that little bathroom! Wow! Unbelievable! I’d say come to Florida, but you’d just spend your savings on healthcare. Ha ha
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Real Name
    Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by brady View Post
    Your kidding right?
    I live in Ct. where prices are high but I don't even think
    an agent would ever try to sell that piece of crap for that price.
    Maybe for 25k US here.Good old Toronto,eh.
    Jay
    Jay, look at my profile photo...does the guy look or sound shifty?
    The link above is located in the downtown core in a desirable neighborhood. You can still pickup a handyman special property for $1,000,000 but location-location-location seems to be where the properties have the outrageous prices.
    The housing market here and in Vancouver is crazy. I think it's now about $1000.00 per sq.ft
    The condo market is also nuts...imagine living in a one bedroom 600 sq.ft condo paying close to $600,000 plus $1000 for monthly maintenance fees.
    I'm ways away 1/2 hr from downtown but just to give you a prospective...I bought where I am 12 yrs ago for $290,000 and did not put to much reno's in but today $800,000 is what I can get.
    My mom closer to downtown very small home needs some updating and TLC will have no problem getting $1,000,000 plus.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Registered Member

The link above is located in the downtown core in a desirable neighborhood. You can still pickup a handyman special property for $1,000,000 but location-location-location seems to be where the properties have the outrageous prices.
    The housing market here and in Vancouver is crazy. I think it's now about $1000.00 per sq.ft
    The condo market is also nuts...imagine living in a one bedroom 600 sq.ft condo paying close to $600,000 plus $1000 for monthly maintenance fees.
    I'm ways away 1/2 hr from downtown but just to give you a prospective...I bought where I am 12 yrs ago for $290,000 and did not put to much reno's in but today $800,000 is what I can get.
    My mom closer to downtown very small home needs some updating and TLC will have no problem getting $1,000,000 plus.

...Ralph
    Well Ralph now that you mention it, you do look a little shifty.LOL
    I know what you mean .I had a house built on 5 acres 33 years ago for 100,000$ and today I could get
    around 700,000$ in a rather semi rural area.
    But the real kicker is my parents bought a piece of crap house 5,000$ 50 years ago in Larchmont, N.Y.
    I sold it for 1.2 mil$ 10 years ago. As you say, L,L,L.
    Jay

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

SF bay area homes are going were going for up to $1500/sq ft about three years ago. My wife and I moved from the bay area, I took a significant pay cut but was able to immediately buy a house, cover her graduate college tuition and still have more disposable income than when renting in SF.

Also 3 mil CAD is like $250,000 USD...

...Ralph
    I can certainly share your feelings Ralph.

I live in the Vancouver suburb city of Surrey, B.C. (pop. now well over 500,000 - a 50 minute drive from downtown Vancouver) and have watched my 1,650 sq.ft. rancher custom-built in 2010 rise in value, from a cost of just over $600 K, to well over $1 mil today. At the same time the property tax assessment on my home has increased to more than double the approx. $2,000. it was in 2010.

In Vancouver today you can't even buy a 60 ft. X 100 ft. deep building lot for less than around $600,000. in any suburb. You need to go 40-50 miles away from the downtown core to get a cheaper lot.

I almost shed tears when I see on TV that I could get a larger, much nicer home than mine in Waco, Texas, for around $250 K- $300 K !!! It's almost unbelievable to me.

Real Name
    Brian

...Ralph
    You could make up the price by saving on lawn maintenance

Real Name
    Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post

Also 3 mil CAD is like $250,000 USD...
    Not exactly that low...it's still a whopping $2,237.99

...Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    I can certainly share your feelings Ralph.

I live in the Vancouver suburb city of Surrey, B.C. (pop. now well over 500,000 - a 50 minute drive from downtown Vancouver) and have watched my 1,650 sq.ft. rancher custom-built in 2010 rise in value, from a cost of just over $600 K, to well over $1 mil today. At the same time the property tax assessment on my home has increased to more than double the approx. $2,000. it was in 2010.

In Vancouver today you can't even buy a 60 ft. X 100 ft. deep building lot for less than around $600,000. in any suburb. You need to go 40-50 miles away from the downtown core to get a cheaper lot.

I almost shed tears when I see on TV that I could get a larger, much nicer home than mine in Waco, Texas, for around $250 K- $300 K !!! It's almost unbelievable to me.
    I hear you Paul...but if you want low housing prices in Canada you have to go ways away from the city core. However I'm not going to commute 2 hrs and 200 km/125 miles into work and have to buy a new vehicle every 5 years.

...Ralph
    -John Wooden

Not exactly that low...it's still a whopping $2,237.99

...Ralph

I hear you Paul...but if you want low housing prices in Canada you have to go ways away from the city core. However I'm not going to commute 2 hrs and 200 km/125 miles into work and have to buy a new vehicle every 5 years.

...Ralph
    Absolutely - I'm with you all the way -

So what do we do ?

In my case, being retired, do I think about moving permanently to some small town in rural B.C. with climate reasonably near to that in Vancouver, or to Mexico, or somewhere in the U.S. with attractive climate & real estate costs, or maybe someplace like Panama, Honduras, or other democratic, peaceable country in Central America ?

Real Name
    Ralph

I have a co-worker that is retiring in February as she has apparently visited, researched and made plans to move to town within Costa Rica. She already has a place rented there for the time being that costs her $325.00 Canadian per month and if all goes well she will look to purchase for a permanent residence.
    I'm not that daring as she is but my plans will be to stay close enough to my daughters. However, I'm open to moving within the USA if the opportunity allows in my retirement years if the US border security doesn't find reason to hold me back.

...Ralph
    -John Wooden