ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Help identifying strain

Registered Member

Default Help identifying strain

Hey everyone, I've been lurking around the forums for a while and haven't really started a thread before, but I now require some assistance identifying this fish's strain. So a little bit of background info, he and another 4 discus are housed in a BB 65g which were previously in my planted tank for a short amount of time because the nitrogen cycle in the BB was just not happening. He's the smallest of the bunch but he seems to be the most courageous; doesn't let anyone mess with him without pecking back. What's confusing about him is that he shows lots of different shades of colours according to his mood, and he also seems to be a bit taller to me than the others(perhaps altum flora or something of the sort?). He's been in the BB for only 3 weeks but I think he's already grown , especially his pelvic fins which have also turned a brilliant orange-brown. As you can tell I obviously have very high hopes for the little guy so if anyone can make a guess as to what strain he is, I'd be grateful!
    (the first photo is from before he was transferred to the BB)

20181015_224342.jpg~~.jpg

Real Name
    Ralph

Default Re: Help identifying strain

Welcome to Simply Discus...
    It appears this is a Red Turquoise. Turquoise strain Discus can inhabit coloration from different crosses. Also the Altum Flora you mention is basically a high bodied Discus.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Registered Member

Default Re: Help identifying strain

Hey, thanks a bunch for the reply. I too originally thought that it was a red turquoise but sometimes he looks a little bit like a brilliant turquoise to me. Guess I'll have to wait and see. Yes, I understand altum flora refers to a high bodied discus, I'm wondering whether this particular little dude would be considered so.